Monday, August 18, 2008

Now what am I going to do for the rest of the day?

Summer, 1988
I had gotten a call from my connection to meet up at his house. I wasn’t sure what was going on but if he needed to see me about something, well, Roy was the connection. So I went.
As I came into town I saw Royboy’s truck alongside the curb with a cop behind him and Royboy looking none to happy about the situation. Luckily for Roy I was an enterprising young man and knew exactly what to do.
I motored on past, gave Roy a high sign and went another 2 blocks down to the phone booth in front of the saddlery where I pulled in. After looking a couple blocks further down the road towards Lopez’s Bar to make sure all was clear I called 911 and told the dispatcher that I was driving past Lopez’s and saw a man entering with a drawn gun. She asked my name and address so I said “Jeff Segmiller, 3327 Topeka” and hung up the phone just in time to watch the cop that had Royboy jacked up run back to his car and burn out leaving my Bud sitting there thanking his lucky stars.
Now for something that happened with no prior planning I was amazed at all that happened because of me making a simple phone call. Royboy didn’t get searched and busted with the half pound of weed he had in the car, my worst enemy Jeff Segmiller got arrested for making a false report, no less than a half dozen people in Lopez’s got rousted for warrants (one for child molesting!) and I got a free ounce of dope out of the deal. All before noon.

No comments: