Sunday, September 28, 2008

My reloading bench


Okay, this is my loading bench. As you might have read in my post yesterday, you can see that it's neat, clean and uncluttered. Everything has it's place.
You'll also notice that none of the tools are mounted permanently but held down with clamps instead so that I can move them out of the way when I need to do a particular operation.
On the right side of the table is my priming tool, right front is my powder measure/drop, the press is in the middle and to the far left is a small vice that I use more than I ever thought I would.
In the white shelves (from right to left) are cartridge boxes and bullets bought in bulk on the bottom, dies for different calibers on the top.
In the larger space are my scale in the box (to keep it dust free) with a bullet puller on top of it for the inevitable mistakes, brass in the coffee cans and on the other side of the fancy book holder (okay, it's a box) are my loading manuals. Notice I said manual(s) - I have my old Speer and several caliber-specific manuals as well as pamphlets put out by various powder manufacturers. A quick note: If any of your loading manuals give contradicting data, go with the smaller charge. It's better to err on the side of caution.
Directly above the manuals is another set of dies that belong to a friend when I was showing him how to load for his 10mm. There's also a powder trickler there.
Above that are the trays that hold the brass while I'm loading and a case trimmer.
On top of the long white shelf is the big-ass Bass pillow that my Sweetie Martha gave me for Christmas plus other assorted precious junk.
Underneath the bench is my powder box. You'll notice that it's made of wood. That's in case of a fire the powder will not be under pressure so it will burn instead of exploding and killing some fireman who's trying to save my big-ass Bass pillow.
My case tumbler is out in the garage as it does get a bit noisy when it's running.
By the way, these pictures were taken without a flash so you can see how well lit the room is.
There it is: Reloading Bench Set-up 101.

No comments: