Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Oh shit oh dear

Okay, if you thought Monday was bad, wait until you hear about Tuesday.
After spending my morning at the DMV Monday to get my truck registered, I thought everything was cool. I was legal for another year and my truck had passed smog the week before which is a pretty good indication that the engine is in good shape.
Unfortunately, it doesn't say shit about the transmission.

I got off work Tuesday evening and walked out to the truck, noticing a coolant puddle underneath my bumper. I popped the hood and looked then crawled underneath to check it out closer. I couldn't really tell for sure but it looked like either a loose hose clamp, a cracked hose or the water pump was shot. No big deal.
Little did I know that a coolant leak was going to be the least of my problems that day.

I filled the radiator (maybe a quart), fired it up and left the parking lot. It ran fine until I got on the entrance ramp to 580, which is a l-o-n-g onramp. I can usually get it up to freeway speed about halfway down if I wanted to. Tuesday I was feeling pretty mellow so I kept my speed down until I started to merge, then I nailed it.
That's when my tranny let me know it wasn't happy by slipping badly. I backed off the gas, slowed down to 60 and got behind a truck.
It runs okay as long as I keep my speed down so hopefully it'll last for a couple more days.

But I got to thinking - the damned thing is 18 years old, the air conditioning compressor is shot, it needs shocks all the way around and the windshield wipers work when and if they want to. I have no idea how many actual miles are on the engine because it had once had a propane engine in it and then was changed back to a gas engine and I don't know if they put a new engine or used one in it.

So I'm going car or truck shopping this weekend. Common sense tells me to get a car that gets at least 30 miles to the gallon but dammit I haven't been without a truck for 30 years. I spend way too much time going where a car can't and I don't want to give that up.

But the one thing that really gets to me is that it waited until the day after I ruined a Monday by going to the DMV before it took a shit on me. Why not the day before?

1 comment:

LulaBelle said...

Ugh, I feel for you. I say stick with what you love and what serves you well. I refuse to ever give up my truck-I will drive it till the wheels fall off, then get another!