Pages


Thursday, January 12, 2012

The miracles of modern medicine

The warehouse where I work is kicking my ass.
I started having sinus problems about a month ago - maybe I should say work has been giving me sinus problems seeing as I feel fine (normally) when I am not at work, but as soon as I get in the door my sinuses slam shut. Working in a warehouse in an agricultural area, this is understandable due to the huge amount of dust in the air.
Understandable doesn't make it any easier.
This morning it all caught up to me. I woke up this morning about 2 with a sinus headache, managed to get back to sleep for another 2 hours, then woke up at 4 (my normal time) hurting so fucking bad I couldn't keep both eyes open at the same time. Fuck this. I called in sick.
Now I'm one of those dumbasses  that refuses to take anything for pain, preferring pain management (which pretty much consists of bitching and moaning) to actually doing something about it, such as going to the doctor or even to the store for some over-the-counter shit. I mean, if I still have all my appendages and ain't bleeding from the nose, ears and eyeballs, it can't be that serious.
But I damned sure had my ass down to the Walgreens this morning at 4:30 with all the tweekers and drunks trying to find some some nasal decongestion spray and sinus headache relief. It must've worked. My headache is now tolerable, my beard is soaked and I gotta take a dump.

8 comments:

  1. You ever consider a neti pot?

    I started using one a little over a year ago, and I pretty much haven't had to use shit like Afrin or Sudafed since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's an agriculture warehouse maybe there is some kind of fertilizer or insectide, or whatever in there that your body don't like and it's telling you it's some bad shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A neti pot? What the fuck is that? Sounds gay, bro.

    Naw, it's a grocery warehouse bordered by hundreds of thousands of acres of range and farmland on 3 sides. Farmers out here plow 3-4 times a year depending on their crops, so there's always dust in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a roommate that used one of those Neti things. He sounded like one of those fucking aliens was coming up his nose instead of his stomach. Also, there've been cases of massive infections caused by not cleaning them correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ol' lady uses one. Ya gotta use distilled water, don't use tap.
    Works great.
    Me, I use Maker's Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old Granny's cure; in the palm of one hand three shakes from a salt shaker. pour one-half teaspoon of cold tap water. Mix with spoon till dizzolved. Snort all of it into one nostril. Repeat for other nostril, preferably over sink. You'll find out why... works great!
    Iron poor blood; just cover bottom of iron skillet with water,sprinkle liberally with salt. let sit alone till water evaporates and skillet bottom covered in rust. Now simply cook something in skillet and eat it, scraping bottom as you cook. walla, iron rich blood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell. You'd be more like likely to catch an infection from a hot tub party or a new Lady Friend than a neti pot. My business is a damned dirty one, and I swear by mine.

    Just trying to help is all.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.