Tuesday, February 09, 2010

My weekend (the best part, anyways)

It's true, I finally got the fuck out of Dodge this weekend and I actually had a great time.
A month or so ago I got an invitation to an Anti-Superbowl party from Lula (Random thoughts from inside the basket - see my blogroll) and Hubbs (hers, not mine. I ain't that way). Now I had met them last spring on a trip to the ghost town of Bodie and we've kept a daily email thing going since then but I was still a little nervous. I don't do new friends well. Hell, I don't do people well.
There wasn't any need for me to worry - I was the first one there so they welcomed me into their home, introduced me to Youngest and their Evil Cats, and gave me a beer.
Hubbs (hers, not mine. I ain't that way) made these ass-kicking bacon wrapped jalepenos and as soon as I had one I had a culinary orgasm. I mean, what an outrageous combination! They were soooooo fucking good, I don't know why in the hell I had never thought of it before,
We had a little time to chat and then the guests started showing up. The game was turned on, then everybody did something else. Lula and Youngest and their friends started playing games and me and Hubbs (hers, not - fuck this, you know the drill) headed out to the garage, him to smoke and me, because that's where the beer was.
We'd head back in every so often to eat pizza that Lula had made and bacon wrapped jalepenos and the fantastic stuffed mushrooms that Lula's friend Haley had brought, visit for a bit, then head back out to talk guns, cars and how bad Obama was fucking up.
At one point Hubbs noticed me grinning and asked what was so funny. Hey, I was just having a great time. I wasn't home, I was with friends, I was enjoying the hell out of the laughter coming from the house and everybody was speaking english.
So this went on all night and I do mean all fucking night, finally headed to bed and crashed hard.
The next morning when I finally got up and around, Lula had coffee and breakfast -I think she knew I liked bacon somehow - and tylenol for the headaches.
Me and Hubbs headed back out to the garage and got into some serious reloading. He'd been having some problems finding ammo for his Blackhawk chambered in 45 Colt, so when I got the invitation to come up I figured I'd help him out on that. I had powder and primers, he had cases and bullets, so about an hour and a half later, he was no longer out of ammo. Gun people helping out gun people, you know?
I left their place about 4:30, drove through a minor sleet storm over Donner Pass and made it home about 4 hours later.
I was so fucking beat when I got home I didn't even unload the truck. I left everything except my Copenhagen right where it sat, came in and ate, took a long hot shower and crashed.
I didn't realize how bad I needed to get away until I got back. I don't know if it's been the constant rain and fog, the fact that I had put Punkindog down last month, work kicking my ass or a combination of all three, but I have had a serious case of the blahs. This weekend pushed all that to the side - I really enjoyed myself.
Thanks Lula, Hubbs and Youngest. I appreciate it. You're good folks.