Pages


Sunday, September 19, 2010

BOO!!!!!!

I was talking to this ol' boy at work the other day at work about hunting coyotes. He was kinda sorta interested, asking some intelligent questions. He wanted to know what time of the day was the best hunting.
I told him the last hour of the day, the first hour of the day, but the absolute best time was the coyote moon. You know, the full moon is setting just as day is breaking. You really need to get out there about midnight and hunt until after dawn.
"What, you go out there by yourself in the middle of the high country desert or up in the mountains in the middle of the fucking night?" Al asks. "Seriously, by yourself?"
"Yup, uh huh. Gotta do what ya gotta do, man."
"Fuuuuuuck. Ain't you afraid of Bigfoot, mountain cats or bears?"
"Naw, I ain't afraid of them OR the boogeyman."
"Man, you are one badass motherfucker........"
Okay. what Al doesn't know is that not only am I carrying a rifle in 22-250 with a scope mounted spotlight, but I also got my 41 loaded with 280 grain hardcasts that'll blow a hole through a small tree, night vision scope, a short LED light with 100 lumens (that motherfucker will make your eyeballs bleed if I hit you with it) and I'm covered in scentkiller.
Besides, I've never seen or heard anything I could positively identify as Bigfoot, I've only seen a couple of bears in all the years I've wandered the woods and I haven't seen a big cat since I quit running them with hounds 20 some odd years ago.
But yeah, I do worry about accidentally calling in a mountain lion. It's bound to happen soon, as loaded as these mountains are with them since they outlawed hunting them. Just because I ain't seeing them don't mean they ain't there. Consider this: You call in a coyote, you can generally either see or hear them crashing through the brush. A bobcat though, that motherfucker just appears. One second nothing's there, the next there's a bobcat looking at you, and you got no tag for him.
I'm sure a big cat is the same way when you're calling. There is no doubt in my mind that I've called them in and just not seen them. Thank God they weren't real hungry.

1 comment:

  1. man id love to go hunting i have a nice little 308 with a 10x50x50 scope and 175 grain ballsitic tips in nickel plated cases

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.