Pages


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, Robert E. Lee




































Today we take a moment to remember the birth anniversary of Robert E. Lee (1807-1870), one of the greatest military commanders in American history. He was also a great man of faith who gave his all for the cause of liberty and states' rights, which we at The Patriot Post hold so dear.

There were many honorable men of the Confederate States of America, whose objective was, first and foremost, the protection of states rights, and decidedly not the continuation of abhorrent institution of slavery. For a better understanding on the issues of the day, read this perspective on Abraham Lincoln, which was not included in your grade-school civics class. The honor we give these men has its roots in the founding of this great nation.

Mark Alexander notes in his essay, "Lincoln's Legacy at 200," that "the causal case for states' rights is most aptly demonstrated by the words and actions of Gen. Lee, who detested slavery and opposed secession. In 1860, however, Gen. Lee declined President Abraham Lincoln's request that he take command of the Army of the Potomac, saying that his first allegiance was to his home state of Virginia: 'I have, therefore, resigned my commission in the army, and save in defense of my native state... I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword.' He would, soon thereafter, take command of the Army of Northern Virginia, rallying his officers with these words: 'Let each man resolve to be victorious, and that the right of self-government, liberty, and peace shall find him a defender."

http://patriotpost.us/

I had several Great Great Uncles and my Paternal Great Great Grandfather that fought for the Confederacy. Four of my six uncles were lost. Grandpa Stone returned home alive, but crippled for life.
I am unapologetic for my ancestors' loyalty to their homeland and will always honor those Patriots that served on both sides of the War.
God Bless General Lee and President Jeff Davis. Rest in Peace, Gentlemen.
-Wirecutter

1 comment:

  1. Almost all of my ancestors on my mother's side fought for Virginia in the War of Northern Aggression. The 24th Va. Infantry, Company A, Kemper's Brigade... great-great-great grand-dad Joseph P. Kelly died wile in service at the hospital in Staunton, Virginia. He was listed as a deserter since he didn't answer muster but was dying in the hospital. I'm very proud of all my ancestors for giving their all for what they believed in.
    For several years Virginia celebrated Lee-Jackson day, then someone decided that MLK needed a day so Lee-Jackson day was renamed. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.