Pages


Sunday, March 27, 2011

You can run but you can't hide.....

I found this article at Sipsey Street Irregulars and thought you might find it interesting.

*****

A favorite pastime of Internet users is to share their location: services like Google Latitude can inform friends when you are nearby; another, Foursquare, has turned reporting these updates into a game.

But as a German Green party politician, Malte Spitz, recently learned, we are already continually being tracked whether we volunteer to be or not. Cellphone companies do not typically divulge how much information they collect, so Mr. Spitz went to court to find out exactly what his cellphone company, Deutsche Telekom, knew about his whereabouts.
The results were astounding. In a six-month period — from Aug 31, 2009, to Feb. 28, 2010, Deutsche Telekom had recorded and saved his longitude and latitude coordinates more than 35,000 times. It traced him from a train on the way to Erlangen at the start through to that last night, when he was home in Berlin.
Go here for the full article

*****

I very seldom keep my cell phone with me (usually only when I'm going back and forth to work) and when I do actually have it with me, most of the time it's either off or on silent - not necessarily because I don't want my whereabouts tracked but because the damn thing is a pain in the ass. I don't need a fucking leash.
I'm serious, I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally left it in my locker at work over the weekend and didn't even realize it until I came back to work the following week.
Hell, even when I do have it with me I won't answer it. Leave a message and I may get back to you.......
Fuck, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder where that sonofabitch is at?

4 comments:

  1. great blog If you are the type to update your blog regulary, then you have gained one daily reader in me today. keep up the super work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And even when they're turned OFF, most of them are still capable of sending GPS data back to the network.
    They only way to stop it is pull the battery, or wrap it up in aluminum foil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,
    Don't come around here with an ultimatum and such....show your color and then we'll see... youon probation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, your cell phone pings the network all the time to check the time and to check for service.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.