Pages


Monday, January 30, 2012

A readers' AK and his 45




Was readin some of your posts from about a year or so back. You said somethin bout wantin to get an assault type rifle someday. I wanted to get one a few years back too. Got to talkin with some of my Marine buddys on what to get. One of em said, "Honestly? Don't get an AR. They're good when they're good, but damn expensive and really tempermental. The damn things jam just when ya seriously need them, and ya gotta clean the bitch ALL the time. In Iraq, the first thing we'd do was pick up a good AK-47 and all the ammo we could find, layin everywhere, and keep it as a backup for WHEN the AR failed, or we were out of Ammo."
I couldn't believe my ears!

Anyway, I went and got myself a 1976 New, Romey AK-47 for 4 hundred bucks. Put a Nikon 3-9 power Scope on it for $125. Few of the guys at my Range with AR's turned their nose up at me, and made some smartassd remarks about bein a commie puke.  All in fun. They sure shut the hell up with I brought back my Target from the 125 yard post. This was shot sittin down, just holdin the gun. No rest, tripod or nothin. I've since zeroed it in even tighter, to about a 3.5" Group, shootin from a sandbag. The Ammo is cheap as shit from Sportsman Guide. Somethin like 1000 rounds for like....$240. Anyway, just thought I'd show ya mine.  The .45 is my daily carry piece. It's a Para Ordanance LDA Carry. Have a good weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Nice shooting. I like AK's myself. Nothin' like hearing that bark at the range, next on my got to get list. The Russians didn't mess around when it came to firearms.
    That said, my AR eats about any ammo without a problem, shoots clean or dirty and is fucking accurate. Get one of each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much the same reason I have a Bulgarian, I can depend on it always firing. Same with my Glocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's mine:

    http://californiayankee.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Arsenal_Legion_A_4da605b1e84fd_300x300.jpg

    I originally wanted one like yours, actually an underfolder. But after much research and a visit to my local gunshop, I opted to spend twice as much as you and get a Russian-made mil spec AK variant. The WASR AK's have had a lot of feed problems, and they are hit or miss on quality. Fortunately, it appears you got a very nice weapon. And like you, I heard too many stories about the finicky nature of the AR and the cost was too high for my budget. Now if I could just get a day off to go to the range and run it through its paces...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my most trusted boom sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and does anyone have a link for AK side rail accessories like that scope mount?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOPS! I can only count 27 'hits' here. Some one must have missed a couple of times.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consider the Saiga in 5.56. It's an accurized AK. Cheap to buy and with a few parts to make it 922r compliant (that are simple to install)you have an AK that eats what your AR eats and ammo the AR doesn't like. Best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 27/30....yeah...well...it's an AK. The scope is more for hard-on factor than anything else. If one wants accuracy beyond 100 yards the AK should be the last rifle they'd pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's the Promag side mount for the AK. It's about 5-6 down the list. Look around, you can probably find it cheaper.
    http://www.promagindustries.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=31

    Here's another one.

    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/aksirapimone.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. An AR platform that is dead nuts reliable is to get one with a short stroke piston design and not gas impingement like normal AR's. Ruger, HK and CMMG (which I own). Not to say a DI gas system AR isn't reliable, you just have to make sure you perform basic preventative maintenance. You just have to do a lot more than a piston driven AR. And yes I own an AK too I prefer the AR because of the recoil characteristics of that rifle.

    With the AR the line of recoil is in line with the buffer and barrel so you have a more linear recoil moment of thrust. An AK's line of recoil is above the line of the stock and barrel giving a slightly above the plane moment of force. For an experienced shooter it's a non issue because you know the characteristics of the gun but a novice would have better follow up shot target aquisition in an AR platform over an AK.

    But what the fuck do I know? I'm an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erinyes

    CDNN has both fixed and QD versions; about $25 - $30. Both work.

    Personal opinion ? .... get a good rear-peep from Tech-Sights or someone else. In that caliber, I'd push optic aimed-fire out of a CZ 527 carbine with a decent scope ... check THAT out. It'd let you use the same feed in two different animals, and streamline logistics.

    OhioDude

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and does anyone have a link for AK side rail accessories like that scope mount?

    Try this site.
    http://www.combathunting.com/Products-SAIGA_ACCESSORIES.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I put one of these on mine:
    http://texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html
    (comes with a peep sight)

    ... and one of these:
    http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_accessories/product/RB-PGRP478B.html

    I now have a sweet AKM in 7.62x39

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gotta line on a chinese AK, its a norinco. Its from the 80's. Never any feed problems, inertia is awesome! For fun AK, dead nuts is my AR!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, all, for the links and tips!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.