Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wish I could've been there

NEW CASTLE, Pa. (AP) -- Firefighters in Pennsylvania have managed to save 200 pounds of Polish sausage from what they're calling the best-smelling fire they've doused in years.

The New Castle News reports that firefighters responded about 11:30 a.m. Monday when a 20-by-20-foot smokehouse caught fire in the yard of Cash Koszela (koh-ZEL'-uh). He's a retired meat cutter who's been smoking his own sausage for about 30 years.

Firefighters say some grease caught fire when the smokehouse got too hot - about 300 degrees.

Koszela says it will cost about $3,000 to replace the smokehouse. It's actually a tin-lined walk-in cooler fed by smoke piped in from a fire pit.

Assistant Fire Chief David Joseph says, "This is definitely the best-smelling fire we've seen in a long time."
SOURCE

- Stretch

3 comments:

c w swanson said...

Well hell, did the firemen bring forks and mustard? I hope so cause those sausages sound like they were ready to eat.

SOYLENT GREEN said...

Yeah, it's only about a 1/2 hour drive from here. I heard about it too late though, dammit.

Uriah said...

My 'smokehouse' caught on fire, it was a old fridge and it smelled like burning plastic, which is what it was...