Pages


Sunday, April 15, 2012

Grumpy, pissed and being a whiney li'l bitch

I've had a tooth bothering me for the past couple of week - it was a tooth last week, now it's two teeth, both on the same side, one on top and the other on the bottom. The one on top had a filling come out so it's a sharp pain and I have no idea what's up with the bottom one but my whole jaw aches. The kind of ache that when I made the appointment the receptionist asked if I wanted her to call with a reminder and I said no, the tooth will remind me thank you very much.
They could've gotten me in last week but that meant that I'd have to take a day off and besides, it's unmanly to admit you're in any kind of pain.
I should've swallowed my pride and went in because I ended up taking Friday off anyway and today I'm crying in a most unmanly way. I am being a little pussy. Fucking toothache was so bad it woke me up at 3 AM this morning for a mouthful of Orajel.

I hate dentists. When I was a kid, the only dentists we went to were Army dentists and they are not known for their skills. Oh, there are some excellent dentists in the Services I'm sure, but they're all taking care of Field Grade officers, not some snot nosed 10 year old kid ready to do combat with any damned body with a drill or needle in his hand.
So I'll have my work done as needed, but I really have to need it done. Today is going to be one of those days that I wish I still drank.

I went in for a root canl once and had a dental assistant ask me if I had been hit in the mouth there. I thought about it for a while and asked "How recently are we talking here?"
"Ever. Have you ever been hit in the mouth there? Recent studies have shown that a sudden impact on a tooth can cause nerve damage later in life."
Shit, those folks are gonna make a lot of money off me - I can't count the number of times I've been hit in the mouth.

My old dentist sold his practice a few months ago, so this is my first trip to the new guy and probably my last one too. I recently moved and there's no sense driving to another town to get my work done. We'll see how it goes.

11 comments:

  1. Watch "Marathon Man" hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself am allergic to toothache. I break out in great big ass tears.
    Go to the drug store and get the "red cross toothache kit".
    its a bottle of clove oil n some mini cotton pellets.
    itll deaden that tooth in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...Dont forget to take the pellet out before you go to the dentist.
    they hate finding little things like that in a tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an abcess - if you have any antibiotics in the house, eat 'em.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate dentists too, I hold out hope that my tooth will heal up and I can avoid the hassle. Right now I have a missing filling and that tooth broke and I got a jagged bit jamming into my cheek. However the ache has been gone for a while so maybe it healed.
    Aleve is good for most of my pains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sympathies, WC. Dental pain sucks and as one who fights SEVERE, chronic pain, 24/7, dental pain almost makes me think a bullet to my head would be better and if I wanted to do that there would be plenty of 'friends' to pull the trigger.

    I just finished the long ordeal of not one but two root canals and crowns with dental insurance that only covered the initial visit and the option for pulling the teeth, which I declined. I was then told to leave the practice that I had gone to for the past 3 years for the usual cleanings,x rays etc. I will NOT be going back.

    I was forced to find a dentist who would see me FAST as I knew I had an abscess and what would be needed. Due to other problems I have I cannot have my teeth pulled. The dentist who agreed to see me within 15 minutes, worked with us on the bill and we are making payments which I hate, But, as we are just coming out of bankruptcy it could have been a lot worse. I refuse to stiff an excellent local doc who took care of me without asking too many questions and judging me and my family first. Very rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a lot of dental problems, maybe once every couple of years and I do see my hygenist for cleaning, but damn, this one is a motherfucker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tooth pain sucks. But thank your lucky stars you have dental insurance or the money to see one regularly.

    Kerodin's right, they should have started you on a course of antibiotics right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Find a muslim dentist. He'll either rip your tooth out with rusty pliers or cut your infidel head off!
    Quit complaining and go to a dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya know Kenny...I never asked you if you were a friend of BillW's?

    Would not surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No Brian, I'm not, but he's been a big influence on my life.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.