Pages


Saturday, August 25, 2012

Neil Armstrong dead at 82

Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.
Armstrong underwent a heart-bypass surgery earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5, to relieve blocked coronary arteries.
As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the moon’s dusty surface, Armstrong said: “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”
The Apollo 11 moon mission turned out to be Armstrong’s last space flight. The following year he was appointed to a desk job, being named NASA’s deputy associate administrator for aeronautics in the office of advanced research and technology.

*****

Man, I can still remember that night when I was 10, sitting outside in Germany looking up at the moon going "No fucking way, man..."
A real American Hero - a man that took a step into the unknown for our great Nation.
And yes, I talked like that when I was 10 and got the asswhippings to prove it.

5 comments:

  1. RIP Mr. Armstrong. Sadly we'll hear way less about his death and funeral than we did Whitney Houston's. WTF is wrong with what's left of our culture?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Vietnam and told my wife. She couldn't believe that someone had actually done it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Neil Armstrong. He is a great American hero who inspired me as a kid. They broke the mould afterthey cast his big brass balls. Rest in peace, brother,

    ReplyDelete
  4. To fly that 60's can with a computer that wouldn't work a kids toy now and to land with a couple of seconds worth of fuel in the tank- balls of steel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this on AFN who was re-broadcasting CNN, I swear the stupid chick report said Neil walked on the moon in 1962 - WTF?. Since I was in the pub and slightly impaired I asked the other old farts there if they heard the same shit - they had.

    Neil Armstrong was a hero and inspiration to my generation. I was in third grade when we watched Neil and heard him utter those famous words.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.