Pages


Thursday, August 23, 2012

So how's that Hope & Change working out for you?

Cheryl Preston knows that others are worse off. But she's still hungry.
As grocery prices creep higher and her income sags, rationing her family's food is a daily task. The 54-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three in Roanoke, Va., says there are days she skips meals so her husband and son can eat. If they notice, she says, she'll let them think she's fasting. She waters down the milk and juice to make it last longer. She visits food pantries, but it's not enough.
"Who would think that in the land of plenty, hard-working families would go hungry? But I am living proof it is true," Preston writes in a first-person account for Yahoo!.
In the last three years, she hasn't been able to replace a $500 loss in monthly income. Her husband's job can't always guarantee 40 hours a week; his second job lasted only through Christmas. So mealtime suffers: Her family eats in one day what they used to eat at one meal. Often, they manage on a nearly barren cupboard for five or six days until the next pay day. They sometimes skip family gatherings at restaurants because they can't pay the tab.
"It is distressing," Preston writes.
MORE

6 comments:

  1. No need for this....but we know who is crushing the middle class. Many people (including myself)are living paycheck to paycheck. But I am managing to pick up some goodies from Mountain House for my family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Lisa.
    Like you, from paycheck to paycheck but me and my Lisa always make sure I buy ten bucks worth of food and a box of ammo to put back even if I have to do without something else.
    Thank God the woman buys a lot of drygoods. If the shit came down tomorrow we could live for 2 months without touching my preps. I honestly don't know how she does it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't, wasn't, our country supposed to be, was capable of, advancing, and growing, becoming smarter, feeding all of our people, making sure everyone had their safety, security, warmth and needs met?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am going to catch hell but here goes anyway, I want to know if this lady has cable,cell phone,runs her air everyday,foodstamps,public housing? When I hear of people not getting enough to eat I have to ask if the funds they have are being used properly. Have you had any fresh tats lately? If the answer is yes to any of the questions above then you need to get your priorites in order. Food,water,shelter,clothing,medical.After that some preps to help when times are bad. Then spend on some of the things I mention above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meanwhile, The failure president hands out green cards to illegal aliens to work in the US, one hundred twenty-five THOUSAND of them each and every month.
    Presumably in exchange for their votes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa sounds like a great woman, must be the name :-)
    My hubby got some more 357 last night too...and he is happy for food supplies and gardening.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.