Pages


Friday, October 12, 2012

Goodbye, old friend.

I finally broke down and bought a new Buck knife, a 110. I had to, my latest old one was about wore out. I usually go through one every couple of years but I've had this one for four or five years now. When I first get a new Buck I take lapping compound and work the joint real good until I can open it easily one handed, then I grind serrations into the brass where my thumb lays to keep me from having to get more stitches.
This one opens one handed out of the box and as always I was amazed at how much I've ground the blade down by constant sharpening - I won't tolerate a dull knife. Yeah, I go through as many fine Arkansas stones as I do knives.

Check out how thin that blade is, how the lock is riding up and if you look  close at the brass nearest the blade you can see where I've used that motherfucker for a hammer. Yes, I know a knife is a knife and not a hammer, but by God a 110 makes a pretty good substitute when you ain't got the real thing handy.
So now it's time to retire my old knife to my Me Room, in a drawer full of other stuff I can't bear to throw away.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you... a dull knife is a dangerous knife. I usually end up losing a knife long before it gets worn down that far, though :)

    That's part of why buy inexpensive knives. Not "cheap" ones, because they are more aggrevation than they are worth. I just can't bear to drop big bucks on a knife I'm going to loose somewhere in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, if I lose a knife I go into mourning for 30 days.
    I think I paid 38 bucks for that knife. That's not too bad considering how much I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I carried a Buck 119 in Vietnam, Huey slick crew chief. Opened about 2000 beer cans with it and actually used it for a couple important things also. Some rotten sonofabitch stole it at Watkins Glen about 5 years after I came home, one of the races in the early 70s.

    I actually bought myself another one a few years ago, but I am still pissed off about the lousy prick who clipped that knife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got one just like it WC. In my .02
    worth theres not a better knife for me. That fucker has been my sidekick for years, and yes, it's a sharp fucker too!! The only thing a dull knife can do is gouge the fuck out of whatever you're trying to use it on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sent ya a picture of a Buck 110 I STILL carry.
    Buddy of mine "modifided" the handle...slimmed it down, back in 1976. As you can see by the pict I sent ya...
    "It's been sharpened" a few times....

    I hope you'll post the picture of my 1976 Buck 110 that I STILL carry.

    That handle modification, is truly magnificant. The "Feel"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. U.B. - wore out a couple of those, too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.