Pages


Friday, December 07, 2012

Carl's Jackal

Hi Wirecutter,
I enjoy reading your blog, thanks. I have attached a pic of a BBJ, (the African version of your coyote) I shot near Steytlervlle, South Africa. The rifle is a borrowed Sako .223. I am waiting for my licence to come through on my new Remington 700 in .204 Ruger, and will post some better pics soon. Sorry for the bad pic quality – we shoot jackals at night here - the pic was taken with my cell phone in the early hours of the morning. The BBJ was taken at just over 200 yards with a Hornady VMax called in with a Foxpro.
-Carl
 
 
 
Hell yeah, Carl! They look to be about the same size as our western coyotes. Hey, I'd be real interested in more photos from your hunts, maybe a short tale on how they're hunted - over bait or called in, etc.
Thanks,
KennyLane

8 comments:

  1. Shit WC, you need to hook him up with your Wolf hunter friends so it takes BOTH hands to pose with his trophy. My guess is, he'd be game for that hunt and you would have some great pic's for the PETAphiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice suppressor on the rifle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In many other countries you are required to use a silencer when hunting.
    In Cali it's a felony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, as much as I love the sound of gunfire I would love to have one for hunting. I bet my coyote kills would increase dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard it said that often times, when hunted with a suppressed rifle, a missed coyote will react to the sound of a hyper sonic bullet passing as if it came from behind it instead of ahead, and will actually run TOWARD the hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the pic WC. We have no laws restricting suppressors/silencers here in SA. My take is that the muzzleblast is the sound that gives your position away - the sonic crack is directionless, and won't give your position away. I've been hunting jackal for a few months now with a friend and still learning and making mistakes now and again. I'm setting up my own rig at the moment - Remington 700 SPS in .204 Ruger - I want to get a Manners T4 stock and still deciding on the scope - something by Leopold - I'll also put a suppressor on it. I'll post some more pics soon.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.