Pages


Monday, December 10, 2012

One of my favorite sites

One of the sites that I hit every day without fail is Homestead Survival for tips and their every day free (at the time of the posting) Kindle books.
Some of the tips are extremely simple but absolutely brilliant - for example: keeping small amounts of spices in free sturdy waterproof see-through resealable packages. Are you ready for this?
Uh-huh. Drinking straws. Yeah I know, I never thought of it either, but what a great idea for traveling, Git Kits and short term prepping. Not limited to just spices, you can also store seeds or damned near anything else you can cram in there.

Go over and check it out and look at their free books. Some of them are fairly short how-to books, but I have picked up several full length novels. Don't have a Kindle? Don't trip, there's also a download at the end of the books post so you can read them on your Nook or PC.
http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.com/

Thanks to Woody for turning me on to the site.

6 comments:

  1. I use the straws for vaseline-impgregnated cotton, which is a great firestarter. Have a few of them in the belt pouch survival kit I carry with me when I'm out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I didn't read the article but to seal them just hold them over a heat source and then pinch the ends shut between a couple of books, playing cards or whatever you have handy. You can even use your fingers as long as you don't get the plastic too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soldering iron works well to seal the ends, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob beat me to it.

    I use a pair of needle-nose pliers; squeeze the end shut with about 1/8" sticking out, and use a lighter or candle to melt it. Hold till cools off, and it's sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They make great "speed loaders" for tube magazine 22LR rifles, too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.