Pages


Monday, January 21, 2013

Getting careless in my advanced years

Man, I had wrapped my coyote rifle entirely with camo barrel wrap earlier and finally got around to taking all that shit off this weekend for a good thorough detailed cleaning while Lisa was gone taking her grandkids to the Walmart in Tennessee.
I about shit when I unwrapped it. My barrel was rougher than hell from the adhesive and so I took some solvent to it to get all that stickiness off it and the synthetic stock. After about five minutes of scrubbing I ran my fingers down the barrel and it was still rough. The stock was fine but the barrel..... not so good. Oh fuck, I had been hunting in near zero temps and then took the rifle into a warm(er) tent - I just knew that the wrap had trapped moisture between it and the barrel and caused pitting.
I went on a frantic search for rubbing alcohol and couldn't find any in the house so I stopped, took a deep breath and went to bed. The next morning I went to the drug store and bought a big ol' jug of 90% alcohol and commenced to rubbing and scrubbing.
Whew. It was just dried adhesive, not pitting and the alcohol took it off in just a couple of minutes. But I learned a valuable lesson - when I clean a weapon, clean the entire weapon from the crown to the buttpad - not just the action, trigger assembly, bore and scope. It would've flat pissed me off if I had ruined the barrel (even  if it was just the outside) by my own stupid negligence.
So, that funny popping noise you were wondering about the other night was me pulling my head out of my ass.

9 comments:

  1. even if you don't have the time, wiping it down with some oil will keep it relatively safe until you CAN clean it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For future reference, 3M makes a general purpose adhesive cleaner. Like magic.
    Glad the rifle is OK. If using on some things, I would do a little test first. I know it is OK on Fiberglas and most other parts of a boat.
    POP --LOL
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used tape in the past, now I use spray paint..

    Boarshide

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the guy who I moved next to who had moved there from So Cal the year before to the central Oregon coast. He wanted to show me his prized Parker shotgun he apparently kept in a less than dry environment. I was truely sad. The gun case lining was stuck to the receiver and barrel with rust. I just left without saying anything. He was crestfallen.

    But yer lucky! It was just glue!
    Makes you wanna Parkerize everything! Now doesn't it? The stuff on my 03 A3 is bombproof! I don't know what that is, but it's good. No excuse for a good cleaning and lube every once in awhile though. The blueing on my Great Grandpa's shotgun is amazing as well. They did it right a hundred years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you don't have that third paragraph backwards? Just wonderin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. thought you might like this one

    Tim decided to tie the knot with his long time girlfriend.

    One evening, after the honeymoon, he was assembling some loads for an upcoming hunt.

    His wife was standing there at the bench watching him. After along period of silence she finally speaks.

    Honey, I've been thinking, now that we are married I think it's time you quit hunting, shooting, handloading, and fishing. Maybe you should sell your guns and boat.

    Tim gets this horrified look on his face.

    She says, "Darling, what's wrong?"

    ”There for a minute you were sounding like my ex-wife.”

    "Ex wife!", she screams, "I didn't know you were married before!"

    ”I wasn't

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds almost as bad as a mosin caked in cosmoline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turpentine takes old adhesive off real easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mugley, same conversation I had when mine suggested I sell my bike. I still have the bike.

    Wirecutter, that's a perfect sign of getting too busy being busy. It happens to all of us. We live and learn.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.