Pages


Sunday, January 09, 2011

It's BAT time of the year again

Once again, I take up pursuit of the ever elusive BAT (Big Ass Trout).
For the uninformed, a Rainbow or Brown Trout isn't considered a true BAT until it measures at least 24 inches long and weighs at least 5 pounds. It must also be landlocked, so Steelhead don't count. Lake Trout don't count either because I think them fuckers are born that big.
Our foothill reservoirs are just canyons they've dammed up and they can run as deep as 300 feet. In the summer the BATs hold deep where the water is cool, but in the winter when the lakes "turn" (the temperature of the water is the same both shallow and deep) they come up into the coves to feed and spawn.

I took a year off BAT fishing last year because I was too damned busy shooting at and missing coyotes. In fact, I was having so much fun missing coyotes I didn't even buy a fishing licence.
But this year is going to be different. I'm not only going to miss coyotes and not catch BATs, but I'm going to spend as much time and money as I possibly can humiliating and disappointing myself.
Actually, the BAT fishing pretty much sucks right at the moment because the steady rains we had mucked the water up pretty bad so most of the fish being caught right now are li'l bitty fuckers in the 2-3 pound range that were just planted.
Be prepared for lots of excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.