Pages


Friday, May 29, 2020

The Legend of Reappearing Cardinals

The northern cardinal, also known simply as the “redbird”, is one of the most recognizable and beloved birds in all of Appalachia. Making its home in woodlands, neighborhood gardens, shrublands, and wetlands, the distinctive body is a favorite among amateur bird enthusiasts — especially the males which sport a vibrant red, compared to females’ reddish olive color.
MORE

*****

I've got a bunch of these hanging around my place and not only do they love my truck for some reason, but they're not spooky at all.
I was working on something on the tailgate of my truck the other day and had two mating pair of them sitting on the toolbox of my truck watching me, just sitting there cocking their little heads back and forth.
And while it doesn't happen very often, they love dive bombing that asshole dog Jack, too - they'll even chase him up on the porch when he gets tired of it and heads to the house.

7 comments:

  1. and mean. the ones around here will run the blue jays off...and jays are mean little suckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is that? Blue Jays are the meanest. I've been dive bombed and pecked by Blue Jays more than I can remember. I've never had a problem with Cardinals.

      Delete
  2. Trimmed a bunch'a trees just before it started rainin' for 11 days so the limbs been in the back'a my truck and on my trailer hooked to it ever since. A pair'a cardinals are nestin' in the damn limbs and the male spends the day fightin' hisself in my back window on my toolbox, and to a lesser extent my side mirrors. Guess he don't like his looks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had cardinals nesting in my garden for years, now. Beautiful birds. This year, some cat birds have appeared and a few have collided onto two of my windows. Unlike Polly, the Norwegian blue parrot, they truly were stunned and woke up and flew away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor asshole dog Jack. My beloved buddy Boyd would have been trying to snatch those suckers out of the sky, like he did the Buzzards that pestered him when he had one foot in the grave before he was rescued.*

    *In 15 years of trying he never did snag one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had nesting cardinals on our ranch for years. Some years the females 'fight" the rear-view mirrors on all the vehicles sitting in the yard (they can scratch those up pretty badly).
    This year we had one female "fighting" her reflection on a window. Silly bird think it is a real bird threatening their nest with youngin. I put a scrren up, and stopped that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cardinal is the KY state bird, unlike FL where it's the Mosquito.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.