Pages


Friday, October 16, 2020

Why Did it Have to be... Guns?

Over the past 30 years, I've been paid to write almost two million words, every one of which, sooner or later, came back to the issue of guns and gun-ownership. Naturally, I've thought about the issue a lot, and it has always determined the way I vote. 

People accuse me of being a single-issue writer, a single- issue thinker, and a single- issue voter, but it isn't true. What I've chosen, in a world where there's never enough time and energy, is to focus on the one political issue which most clearly and unmistakably demonstrates what any politician -- or political philosophy -- is made of, right down to the creamy liquid center. 

 Make no mistake: all politicians -- even those ostensibly on the side of guns and gun ownership -- hate the issue and anyone, like me, who insists on bringing it up. They hate it because it's an X-ray machine. It's a Vulcan mind-meld. It's the ultimate test to which any politician -- or political philosophy -- can be put. 
-WiscoDave

8 comments:

  1. I've always thought that a politician's attitude toward gun ownership was a good litmus test of their view on the people they serve vs feeling that they have 'subjects' who they must control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 2 issue voter. Guns and taxes.
    If your parties platform states that you want to limit my rights, GTFO.
    If you want to tax and spend the money I earned, GTFO. One particular party of maggots gets the boot on the first issue 100% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way only I also include abortion.
    Steve in Ky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the part in the middle; "but what does that have to do with you?". It really sums up all that is wrong with gun control laws and regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gun owners be warned: Most Democrat politicians tell the truth to get Liberal votes. Many Republican politicians lie to get Conservative votes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the single most important article I have ever read, and simplifies the process of whether to consider anything else a particular politician is putting forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Trump betrayed us on bump stocks and now the ATF is going after "Honey" to ensure a tax stamp is needed for a AR-15 pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shall not be infringed. Couldn't be more simple. It gets shamed when people think that the Constitution grants rights. It does not, it spells out the inalienable rights granted to us by God that shall remain. Shame on those who do not fear God and thank Him for the privilege to serve him and our fellow neighbors.

    Trump I think is coming around to his supporters. You have to remember he's only been in this political realm for a short time. He certainly not perfect. But I for one admire him because he says what he thinks and does what he says, and he is rapidly evolving. He most certainly can't undue the 70 plus years of catastrophe that those who don't vote and don't care to act upon have caused.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.