Pages


Monday, November 16, 2020

.22 Shorts - Don't let their "cuteness" fool you

 Filmed safely at a proper shooting range,   we compare the .22 short to the popular CCI Mini-Mag in .22 LR.   All the tests were done through a Ruger 10/22 with an 18.5" barrel,  (we intended to use the Speedmaster but the rear sight is damaged and gave us funky accuracy).   The OLD .22 shorts proved to be very reliable while the 15 year old Mini-mags, despite always being store in a dry cool place,   were already showing signs of going "bad".  We had one squib (bullet did not leave the barrel) and one  shot with very low velocity in the tests.  We did chrono a number of the CCIs and averaged around 1240 FPS.    It was surprising how the 60+ year old shorts held up and proved to be have the same potency as they did leaving the factory,  probably due to the wax coating.  I'm sure they didn't intend for the rounds to be functional for so long,  but the BIG surprise was how powerful the shorts actually were. 

VIDEO HERE (19:18 minutes)

9 comments:

  1. My grandfather had a 8 shot Italian 22 short snub-nose he used to put down cattle and hogs that we butchered. I have a couple of 30+ year old bricks of it and it cycles fine in the 10/22 and is very accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of this post, there is something about old ammo:

      https://bacontime.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/cheap-ammo/

      The few rounds that failed, all went through the second time.

      Delete
  2. My first edc was a 22. It's been demonstrated ad nauseum that the 22 CAN kill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 22s, I have taken bucks at 100 yards with a old bolt action 22 Springfield 35" barrel. I have two EDC, a 380 Ceska CZ83 and a P22 Walther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coincidentally I watched that video last week.
    I remember when I used to have a Ruger 22 (suppressed) but I found the 22LR was always quieter than the 22 Short, and of course it didn't jam or fail to cycle constantly like the shorts did.

    I like 22LR over anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, most of my FTF (failures to fire) have occurred with modern ammunitions, both rimfire and centerfire. I still have a couple of bricks of old Federal Lightning from the 90's (Remember $5 a brick ?) and though inexpensive 'blasting' ammunition, functions just fine and goes bang every time. Accuracy isn't fantastic, but good enough for small game hunting (not a paper target shooter).

    I don't use .22 Short often, most of my shorter ammunition is the CCI Quiet. That won't function in gas operated actions, it is mainly shot in bolt rifles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some subsonic round as well as some shorts. Small 22 behind the ear was considered the ultimate assassin shot.

    Need to get me another 22 pistol with a short barrel. Miss the one I had

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up, for cheap, a little rifle the other day, a Cricket 22. It's a bolt action with a strange Bill back the firing pin safety. I got it for rodent/critter control.....
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  8. 22 short hollow points are pretty much the best anti-squirrel ammo out there. That said, I've used 22 CB caps in a revolver to zap muskrat in the back pond without troubling the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.