Pages


Friday, November 20, 2020

Oh, quit whining

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — A loophole in Tennessee law is allowing violent criminals to keep firearms. 

Of course, that is not how the law is supposed to work, but a provision allowing for "third-party de-possession" makes it possible for offenders to trick the system and never actually give up their weapons. 

Tennessee law says felons or other violent offenders have three options for giving up their firearms:

*****

Back when I was going through my divorce in California, my ex filed a bullshit restraining order (which I beat) and I was ordered to surrender my firearms within 24 hours of being served. My only two options were turning them into the local PD or having an FFL store them for me. I turned them in to the cop shop because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for each and every firearm.
I went to court on the RO about 5 months later and when I went to collect my guns I was informed I needed a letter from California DOJ stating I was entitled to recover them even though I had a judge's order in hand stating the RO was dismissed. That took another 3 weeks.
When I finally went down to get my guns 5 months and 27 days later, I found out from the property officer that they only keep firearms for 6 months before destroying them. I came within 3 days of losing my guns for good, two of them having some serious sentimental value as gifts from my father.

10 comments:

  1. Shit they want to keep they hold on to forever. Shit the officer in charge wants goes to be destroyed in 180 days or less.

    I know of some highway patrol warehouses that have had shit in them for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, where might this supposed warehouse be located?
      Asking for a friend.
      MadMarlin

      Delete
  2. Kenny,
    What kind of hoops would you have to go through had you placed them in the care of an FFL? Just wondering if the cost of an FFL versus the leo taking charge of your weapons would have been a better ride.Getting your weapons back in either case?.........priceless!

    Vermillion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It being California, I'm sure an FFL holder wouldn't have been able to give them back either without the Gold Star letter from CDOJ, but I doubt there would've been any danger of them being destroyed as long as my storage fees were kept current.
      I wasn't without a weapon, though - when I told my dad about having to surrender them, he slipped me his Model 65 and told me to hang on to it until I got mine back.

      Delete
    2. So, with the your guns back in your possession for the first time in 6 months did you take a detour on the way home to show them to your ex?

      Delete
  3. About 15 year ago, I had two separate friends, through somewhat bogus court orders were told to either surrender their firearms to the local police or transfer them to a CWP holder, which I was, in Connecticut..so the transfer was made, and after the charges were dropped, we simply transferred the guns back, on paper, to my friends, and outta my gun safe to theirs...pretty easy deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guy I worked with was put into the suspect category based on a wild rumor.
    He turned over all firearms for ballistics checks and then, once he was cleared of everything, went back to get them - several times, with each time the police asking if they can just keep them. After a couple months of this he finally got them back...in a cardboard box....as a bunch of disassembled parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard firsthand accounts similar to this, and ones where, based on the damage, the firearms were apparently just thrown in a pile.

      Maybe the unstated option of going fishing and having a boating accident is the best course of action.

      Delete
  5. I had a pistol stolen and recovered by the police in Lawton OK. They let me know that it had been recovered and kept it as evidence. After the boy's court hearing, I went to the station to recover my pistol only to find out that it could not be located. Some POS cop stole it out of the evidence room. It never has been given back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. " After the boy's court hearing, I went to the station to recover my pistol only to find out that it could not be located. Some POS cop stole it out of the evidence room. It never has been given back to me."

    Not to worry, it's probably been used as a drop gun at least once or twice since, so it's performing community service.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.