Pages


Friday, January 15, 2021

Moving General Forrest

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) — On December 20, 2017, a more than 100-year-old statue of General Nathan Bedford Forrest was taken down from a public park in Memphis. The remains of General Forrest and his wife are also entombed at the same place where the statue once stood. 

Soon, those remains will be moved from Memphis to Columbia, Tennessee where the Sons of Confederate Veterans is headquartered.

*****

I can't say I disagree with this move. It's just a matter of time, given current sentiment regarding anything Confederate, before the graves are vandalized or even dug up and any remains desecrated.
Besides, no white boy has any business in Memphis.

8 comments:

  1. I've told this before so I'm sorry if it's boring. As I become my dad in my old age, I'm trying to avoid telling the same story over and over. But anyway,
    When my wife and I would visit her parents in Maryville, Tennessee in the 70's, they lived on "Forrest" Ave. Later on, the sign at one end of the block was "Forrest" and at the other, "Forest" By the time we bought the house in '04', all the signs were "Forest". Quietly cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's a good -- and important -- story. Says a lot in a few words.

      Unlike my stories that are a LOT of words :-(

      Delete
  2. Having lived in the Memphis area for several years after getting out of the navy (thankfully, I moved in 1993), I can agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Columbus is only about 50 miles away on beautiful, little, county back roads. I'll be there when it happens. Gen. Forrest was a man's man, on steroids. The only guys that could hold a candle to him would be special force's types, if they were also moral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem lies in "Where does it STOP". When the demographics change can anybody who claims offense have bodies moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where does it stop? Once all you evil Ypipo are gone, there won't be any more need.
      - Nancy Pelosi

      Delete
  5. January 19 is Robert E. Lee's birthday. Celebrate, fly your flag....we celebrate by having Southern fried chicken and displaying his picture....in Southern Ca. Hybo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Besides, no white boy has any business in THAT PART OF Memphis."

    FIFY.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.