Pages


Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Pecking Order: What Is It and How to Avoid Problems in Your Flock

We’ve all heard the phrase ‘the pecking order’. In our minds eye, we likely see colleagues and co-workers neatly arranged in order of ‘merit’. From the CEO down to the janitor, everyone has a place in the ‘pecking order’.

The term ‘pecking order’ was first coined in 1921 by Thorleif Schjelderup-Ebbe to describe the hierarchy of flock dynamics and it came into popular usage in the 1930s.

At times the pecking order can make life extremely difficult for both chickens and chicken keepers! Keep reading to understand exactly what the pecking order is and how you can stop common problems caused because of the pecking order.

1 comment:

  1. I worked three summers on my college poultry farm, cleaning out the dropping pits, rounding up the eggs, washing them, putting them in cartons, and selling them. Also, taking the birds out of their coops, weighing them, and driving them out into the field. I didn't de-beak them, though; not my job. So, yes, I was in poultry husbandry...until they caught me at it. (That's a JOKE, son; I say, that there's a JOKE! Hat tip, Foghorn Leghorn,)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.