Pages


Monday, September 20, 2021

Raising Chickens Became More Than A Hobby For Some During The Pandemic

Daniel Simonich makes his living as a corporate architect, but at the beginning of the pandemic he was inspired to work on a different scale: building a chicken coop out of recycled pallets and scrap wood. 

Hawaii Grown“Working from home remotely, I had time in the morning to actually make breakfast and I wanted to eat more eggs sustainably,” he said. 

More than 80% of Hawaii’s food is imported, and seeing empty shelves during the early days of the pandemic caused many in Hawaii to pay closer attention to the state’s food security. Across the islands, people turned to gardening, learned how to eat invasive species or practiced new recipes with the island’s abundant staple crops.
-Chris

2 comments:

  1. I think chickens are probably the best thing for a prepper.
    We have about 50 birds.
    Nothing could be easier to raise.
    We don't even feed them from spring to fall.
    We give excess eggs (lots) to local restaurant my girls work at.
    They are a pastime now, but if shit gets spicy they should be worth their weight in gold.
    I have a bad mofo of a dog who's job it is to guard them from predators.
    Hawks, coyotes, coons, you name it.
    I spent a good amount of money on their coop. But, since then, they cost me almost nothing.
    If I didn't see trouble ahead we probably wouldn't bother with them.
    Eggs are cheap, now.
    But when shtf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So like I told you in our email exchanges I set mine free before Hurricane Ida hit figuring they would have a better chance to survive the storm. Well 4 of my 12, including the rooster, chickens came back Saturday, no sign of the rest or the rabbits though. Hopefully they did ok.
    JD

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.