Pages


Monday, January 24, 2022

300 Blackout Ammunition Compared to 5.56 NATO/.223 Rounds ~ An In Depth Report

U.S.A. –-(AmmoLand.com)- 300 v 556? It almost sounds like a court case. DC v Heller, Roe v Wade, etc. The truth is, many shooters look at this as if it really is some kind of court case. The problem with that thought is simple. The jury is still out for many of us

There are people who are fueling their flamethrowers as you read this.  The title alone will get their ire chain on the big sprocket and they’re reading to burn anyone on the other side of this discussion to the ground.  I have to admit, I have deeply held opinions myself.  But when it comes to the firearms industry, there don’t seem to be as many absolutes as you’d think other than safety measures.  There used to be plenty of black and white, but through industry innovation, continual sidestepping of law, codification, or ignorant rule, and the desire for niche performance, we have plenty of grey areas today.

When I was pitched the idea of writing about the 300 Blackout in comparison to the 5.56NATO, I assumed it would be a walk in the park.  I’ve built countless weapons for customers, my corporate collection, and my personal collection in both.  I’ve used both of these chamberings for everything from target shooting, training, and practice, to home defense, hunting, and carry.  Why would writing a series of articles be a problem?  Well, as I found out, making a choice of one over the other isn’t as simple as you’d think.

We should start at the beginning, or a brief history, of both in order to grasp their originally intended uses.  After all, I learned long ago in church that the most vital thing to seek in scripture is context.  If you don’t have the context of the subject matter, you’re in real trouble.















13 comments:

  1. The cost of 300BO ammo is much more than .223 / 5.56. Going target shooting can burn a hole in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 46 cents a bullet for 5.56, 68 cents a bullet for 300 Blackout.

      Delete
    2. Up here it was $226 for 200 rounds of 300 Blackout at Sportsman's Warehouse, no 5.56 available.

      Delete
    3. ammoseek.com if you're looking.

      Delete
    4. Its a .30 cal round. Of course it costs more. Plink with smaller round duh.

      Delete
    5. If you are buying ammo instead of making it, you are missing out on the full capability of 300 BLK.

      Delete
  2. No comparison. Different ballistics and energy. 300 blk is essentially 7.62x39. Designed for sub-sonic cqb and silent. Any other configuration and you shooting an ak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We see these articles every now and then like we see Bitcoin pumping articles on Zerohedge.

    Sales must be getting weak.

    How many of you do the suppressed "wet work" the article says 300BO is good for? How many are larping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, a suppressor makes damned good sense on a home defense rifle, unless you want to blow your eardrums out shooting at somebody inside the house.
      And then there's the target shooting without pissing off your neighbors.

      Delete
  4. Just about the only ammo available at my local RK is .223/5.56 and .308/7.62. I haven’t seen 300 BO anywhere in central Ohio since precovid. RK occasionally has some 9 mm FMJ or .45 auto. Even shotgun shells are in extreme short supply

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I’ve been playing with subsonic 300 BLK for a while now and am confident it is the perfectly acceptable for home defense with a can. It is accurate to 200 yards and hits about as hard at that distance as a .45 ACP at 25. I’ve even started casting lead bullets for it, but haven’t fired enough of them to render an opinion just yet. I’ll let everyone know if that works out well and if not, where it fails. Eod1sg Ret

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2 cents worth. I have been shooting 64 grain 223's in a HPBT config (called match in many places). I kill a lot of small predators that go for my hens. The exit wounds on small animals are the size of my fist, even after only 4 to 6 inches of penetration. The exit wounds are ugly and devastatingly damaging to the target. I don't care who you are, a fist sized arc of that kind of destruction in any fleshy part of the body will be an issue that is hard to deal with.

    Not really interested in a debate, just making an observation. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We operate a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
    Bear country, plus cougar and feral swine... plus goofballs in warehouse-pallet hovels covered in blue tarps.
    .
    My carry is a 8.5" 300BO.
    I balance it with three 20-rounders.
    .
    I am rarely more than a couple-three paces from the truck... with a 14" 300BO and some 30-rounders.
    .
    Shot placement.
    Knock the knees out from under them, deny mobility.
    I see zero-zero-zero need to engage in discussion.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.