Pages


Friday, April 22, 2022

There's better places to teach somebody how to drive, ya know

MELROSE, Mass. — Multiple headstones at a cemetery have been damaged after they were knocked over by a driver with a learner's permit, according to police in the Massachusetts city. 

Melrose police Chief Michael Lyle said the officers learned that the vehicle involved, an older model Range Rover, crashed into eight headstones in the cemetery and knocked eight of them over.

*****

I taught my little brother how to drive at Modesto's Butler's Camp, a seriously low rent trailer park.
My reasoning was I figured if he lost control of my truck and hit a trailer or two, damages would be maybe 500 bucks tops, and there was no danger of having the cops called seeing as half the residents had warrants and the other half were selling drugs.
Kevin was laughing about it years later saying it was kinda difficult for him to concentrate with me hollering "Shift, damn it, shift!" while clutching a 45 ACP in case somebody got stupid and tried to carjack us.

8 comments:

  1. That's why empty parking lots are usually a good place. My Dad took me over to my high school parking lot on a Sunday. Plenty of room, no one to hit. Easy, peasy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would not want to hit a trailer now. I paid 26,500$ for mine, brand new, in 1997, it was brand new, but a 1996. It is a 16x80, and a higher end trailer. We have had to replace the water heater, the furnace and central air, and just had to finally put a new roof on, last spring.
    Similar ones, in not as nice of condition, are selling now for as much as 50,000$. I mean, mine is nothing to write home about, but it is nice, and livable, with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, plus it is just a nice setup for a family. It has a nice ramp t0 rool up to the place in a wheel chair, it you need it. It used to be that I worried that I would lost money on it if I ever sold it. I don't think that will happen now. I probably won't lose money but I won't take A huge beating, as I used think that I would. Now I will maybe make some money if the market holds strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught my daughter how to drive on Mt. Diablo. With bicyclists everywhere, thems was good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of my kids learned to drive a five speed pickup truck on dirt roads out in the county. That training also came with changing out a flat tire and how to change the oil. Backing a trailer and packing wheel bearings came later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man (or woman, you didn't say)!
      I raised my 4 girls & 1 boy like that (I'm sure, like me, you included jumper cable lessons). Don't drive it if you can't keep it going & fix minor shit.
      I now have a 53-year-old girlfriend; cute young thing has only been driving 5 years. I get to teach all that all over again. She's eager to learn, so I think I'll manage.
      --Tennessee Budd

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.