Pages


Monday, September 12, 2022

Two Point Five

Two Point Five (2.5 from here on for ease of typing) is my last remaining rooster, at least for the moment. I call him 2.5 because that's how many toes he has on one of his feet.

As you may recall, I bought 3 'pullets' a couple three months back to replace the hens I had that either died or quit laying as often as they had been. My new pullets were Freedom Rangers, easily the biggest damned 10 week old chickens I had ever seen. Seriously, at 10 weeks, they were as big as my 2 year old Naked Necks which are pretty good sized birds.
After a couple weeks, one of my alleged pullets started crowing. I don't know if I was in denial or what, man, but I was really hoping it was just a lesbian hen, or maybe a hen that just identified as a rooster. So I named it Butch. 
Then 2.5 started crowing too. When I went back to the inventory sheet from the place I bought them from, I saw that they had been listed as straight run (unsexed) instead of pullets, so I had 2 roosters for 3 hens and one giant pullet which is way too many, the recommended ratio being 1 rooster to 6 or 7 hens.
Then their sister died before she even laid a single egg. I figure her poor heart just gave out from being so big. I was back to 3 hens.
Shortly after the pullet died, we had a nice thunderstorm right at dusk and when I went to lock the birds up for the night, Butch was freaking out and waddled his fat ass out past me. I tried and tried to herd him back into the coop, but he wasn't cooperating. After about a half hour of trying to get him back in, I was worn out and it was too dark to see him any more, so I said "Fuck you, be coyote bait then."
Evidently he was because I never saw nor heard him crowing again. In a way, it was a blessing in disguise because like I said, I had too many roosters for my (now) three hens. I was ready to butcher one of them, but I didn't have a big enough pot to scald them for plucking- they're that big.

So, over the next couple months 2.5 gained control and established dominance over the 3 remaining older hens, doing his duty and keeping an eye on his bitches as they free ranged, always on the outskirts of his little flock. And the older he got, the more unfriendly he got towards me. He was giving me some serious stink-eye and would flare on me if I got too close to them. Hell, up until about a month ago I'd be in the shed getting their feed and grain and shit, and he'd wander in behind me and eat out of my hand. I thought we were BFFs, man.

Okay, check this shit out. Even though I'm originally from California, I'm not one of those folks that have to be friends with every animal I run across. I've never had an urge to pet a buffalo, I didn't try to get close to any of the badgers or bobcats or squirrels I saw up in the Sierras, and I leave fawns alone.
While I do get a kick out of friendly chickens, it's not a requirement for them to like me. If he doesn't want me to hand feed him any more, it ain't no big deal.

What I don't tolerate though, is being randomly attacked for absolutely no reason by anything and that's something that 2.5 has decided to start doing to me. At first it was only when I got between him and his hoes and I didn't have a problem with that - that's his fucking job, to protect the hens. These past couple of weeks though, he's been launching sneak attacks on me like a Jap prick and trying to spur me, and that pisses me off. It ain't like I'm provoking him somehow - seriously, just what do you have to do to piss a chicken off?
I mean, there's no real danger - yet. For one thing he's too damned fat to jump higher than my boot top, and I can hear him coming most of the time, plus his spurs haven't developed points on them yet. It's still startling though to be outside doing something and all of a sudden I've got this goddamned monster rooster trying to spur my ankle and biting and pecking the shit out of the back of my thigh. He pecks hard enough that one time when I was reaching for an egg when he was within reach, he nailed me on the back of my hand and drew blood.
I've kicked that sonofabitch off of me several times, I'm talking about launching his KFC ass through the air, and that silly fucker takes it as a challenge, flaring his hackles and wings, and prances towards me again all gangsta and shit screaming "Come at me bro!!! Come at me!!!"  He'll do that 2 or 3 times until I either connect real good or that asshole dog Jack finally sees what happening and puts an end to that shit by charging at him full speed and sending him rolling. He doesn't bite him, just slams into him at 25 mph.

I'm don't know if 2.5 realizes he's about thaaaat close to the end of his lifespan. Even Lisa knows it. I came in yesterday morning and she says, "I didn't hear any gunfire. I take it 2.5 is still alive?"
"Yeah, but he's gonna be sore as hell for the next couple of days."

One of these days, he's going to catch me in a bad mood and my next post about him is going to be about the terminal effects of a 230 grain hollow point on a fat-ass rooster. Stay tuned.


32 comments:

  1. Save the hollow point, keep an FMJ in your pocket. Ammo ain’t cheap, duderino.
    Buddha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I like a good mystery story! Keep us updated as events unfold!
    irontomflint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch your back. Some day he's going to come at you and you won't even see him in his camo and night vision goggles. - Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. baseball bat. save your ammo as best you can, plus landing a Louisville Slugger on the fucker may be enlightening, or something. Don't know if chickens can have an "oh shit" moment, but we'll never know, otherwise.
    Original Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, he would be dead. All my animals, we either get along or we don't. Don't means they die and I live. That's the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had geese, and ALL of them did that. My youngest sister was about 5 when she went in the pen by herself and started screaming. The geese were attacking her. My brothers and I grabbed some hoe handles and baseball bats and waded in, swinging. Broke a couple of their backs, mom cooked em for dinner. We never went into the pen again without a bat and we slowly whittled em down to nothing. Pops never did replace them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boil the water on a couple pots and pour it into a clean plastic 5 gallon bucket for scalding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes a rooster just has to do rooster stuff. And sometimes a chicken farmer just has to have chicken soup. Thanks for a laugh on a Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ‘… I'm talking about launching his KFC ass through the air, and that silly fucker takes it as a challenge, flaring his hackles and wings, and prances towards me again all gangsta and shit screaming "Come at me bro!!! Come at me!!!"’

    I laughed so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twenty-five years ago, as a kid, the chickens were my job. We had a big white rooster, easily 40% larger than the rest of the roosters (30 hens, 5 roosters), who developed the same aggressive approach to everyone. I didn't mind him keeping my brothers out of the pen, but Dad wouldn't take excuses for not keeping them fed/watered/gathered, so I had to do something about him.

    So I snuck up on the big guy and grabbed him by the feet, flipped him upside down. He tried to wiggle free (and for a kid he was pretty heavy), but I wasn't going to let him lose - that'd be the worst. He was too heavy to bend his neck up and get to my hands, so he the big guy upside down in front of the I drug him over to the youngest rooster in the bunch (no spurs, no attitude). Then I held the big guy upside down, head about 3 inches off the ground. The young rooster took a bit to get the idea, but once he did, he commenced a walloping - I kept it up for a few minutes until my arms got to tired, and dropped the big guy.

    No more bully, no more random attacks on me - his whole world had been turned upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!! I never thought of anything like that except to dodge the roosters when they flew at me!!
      irontomflint

      Delete
  11. Like you said, he's doing his job. If you had more hens, there's a chance he'd end up more concerned with watching out for them than challenging you.
    Another tactic to consider is taking a broom with you to collect eggs. He may eventually learn that he's no match for you when armed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may have learned his lesson, finally. He kept a good distance from me this morning.

      Delete
  12. Laughing my ass off, I could have written this myself, except I use a .357 mag, 125jhp out of my Smith & Wesson for corrective behavior therapy. Fall is coming, and coming early the local tractor and feed stores already have his replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is too short and Roosters to common to put up with a mean mean one. Just had to get rid of two monster sized Buff Orphington Roosters myself but I found someone that actually needed one and thought the other would be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dealing with the same shit from our Rhode Island Red rooster Duke. SOB keeps trying to attack me every time I turn my back on him. My boot hasn't connected with his ass yet but it will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If 2.5 misbehaves again in the future, try the Daisy Red Rider BB gun. It launches a BB just fast enough to sting pretty bad but the BB's just bounce off. Just be sure not to hit them in the head. That was the only way I could keep our chickens out of the dog and cat food as well as off of the vehicles. Works great on goats that refuse to stay behind the fence as long as you bean them from far away enough that they don't associate you with the BB sting. They panic and run right back behind the fence. Works great on hard headed dogs that think they are too fast for you to catch and discipline when they are trying to bite the UPS man or visitors. It should be used as a last resort. Always try the most humane method of training first. After our dog bite a few people, the math of a potential law suit vs getting the dog or goat to obey is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had that issue with a Rhodey rooster years ago. Big Boy would charge me, I'd wind up and boot his ass like I was kicking off the second half, and he'd leave me alone for a couple months. But after a while, he'd give me another go, with the same result. That went on for about a year or so, until the other rooster we had (an Australorp, very pretty, and I never had a problem with him) finally became King of the Roost. Big Boy learned his place by then, didn't give me anymore trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My only rooster right now is a little black Silkie. It's almost funny watching him bossin' around keeping the peace among a flock of hens twice his size.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a billy goat that got the baseball bat for the same reason; it barely phased him, although I did receive great pleasure from it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a polish crested that was like that. I took to catching him first thing when I opened the coop and would keep him under my arm during chores. He calmed down quick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know what you need? A good sturdy tennis racquet. Much quicker to swing, big surface area. Redneck badminton.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Put a bit of Chicken soup in a bowl out in the barnyard & see if he gets the message.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  22. man i do get a kick outa your communcatin abilities but,,, apparently you aint no "rooster whisperer".sling shots are still fun for us big old kids and pretty educational to them dumb animals too. just make sure they see where the hurt is comin from. you'd be surprised how soon they figure it out. dowchuck

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mean roosters get to free range until the circle of life ends for them. My current rooster was hatched by a broody hen. I handled him daily and carried him around and hand fed him treats. He’s two now and Lea es me completely alone

    ReplyDelete
  24. A badminton raquet is the light Saber for birds.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny that you posted this today since we gave away an asshole roster today that was doing the same thing. Told the lady that took him what he was doing and she was fine with it. Said she was replacing a rooster she had that was the same way. That fucker has over 2.5" spurs and I told the wife if he ever cut me I would shoot him on the spot. Never got me but got launched multiple times with my foot and also a large plastic rake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spurs on 2.5 are about a half inch long and don't have points on them yet. If he keeps that shit up, he won't live long enough for them to spike out.
      He's keeping his distance from me today, though. Maybe he learned something.

      Delete
  26. You are KILLIN me bro! That's the funniest shit I've heard in a looong time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like Crazy Charlie Laffite but with a bigger bird. Had me lol with the KFC comment.
    MadMarlin

    ReplyDelete
  28. Skin him. I quit plucking years ago. Faster and less mess.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I cull with a machete. Wander through, ...flick. None of the rest even know what happened.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.