Pages


Friday, October 07, 2022

Lundy, California

Gold was discovered near the west end of Lundy Lake in 1879 in what would become known as the Homer Mining District. The town of Lundy was settled at the site and became famous for its scenic alpine location and the numerous avalanches that destroyed mines, homes, and even power plants, as well as taking many lives over the years.

*****

Lundy's located southwest of Bridgeport on the eastern slope of the Sierras between Tioga and Sonora Passes, my old stomping grounds.
While I've been to Lundy quite a few times and I do have an interest in exploring old mining sites, I've never climbed up to the May Lundy Mine to check it out, the reason being is that sucker clings to the side of a mountain at about 10,000 feet elevation and close to 1500 feet above the townsite. Just looking up and thinking about climbing up there made my lungs feel like they were on fire.

8 comments:

  1. A literal stone's throw from U.S. 395 and Mono Lake.
    The May Lundy was an extremely productive mine.
    That shaft sure came straight out of the side of the mountain, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and it does. Somebody there told me the mine workers lived in the valley and had to take a tram up the mountain to get to work.

      Delete
    2. At least one of the tram cable towers is still standing!
      https://www.hiltoncreek.com/california-land-for-sale/may-lundy-mine
      This area is like a dream world.

      Delete
    3. Wow, great pictures. I'm glad somebody else made the climb to take them instead of me doing it.

      Delete
  2. I wasn’t far from there. Marine corps mountain warfare, pickle meadows.
    Still the most beautiful place I’ve been. And being Marine infantry, I’ve been to a lot of places.
    I hope to go back some day. I’d love to smell the sage, or whatever it was that gives the place its name.
    Next time you go up there, pick me some!
    -Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the camp just off 108 on the backside of Sonora Pass. I've driven past it many, many times.
      Did you know one of the old emigrant trails going over the mountains cut right through that camp?
      And that's white sagebrush you were smelling. I loved that stuff. Every time I went up, I'd cut some of so I could smoke my house with it.
      I'll never see it again. It'll take a major miracle to get me back in that State. I do have some wonderful memories of the place, though.

      Delete
    2. Know the area well. There's a hang gliding launch within sight of the base. Beautiful place to fly.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for telling me what it is.
      Btw
      I had a chance to “chat” with a local, back in ‘85. There were no power, or telephone lines up there then. Every October they closed the one road going into there. I liked his attitude towards government.
      “They tax the hell outta me all year long. What do I get for it? Use of a road for half a year!”
      -Frank

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.