Pages


Friday, August 04, 2023

A mix of songs tonight

Kristen Funk - Tecumseh Valley

I featured this young lady back at the beginning of May (HERE) and y'all gave her good reviews in the comments. She's put out a shorter version of Tecumseh Valley since then, and she does a really good job of it. 
Funny, but when I went back to that first post for the URL, I read the comments and saw where I had replied to a comment with "Now if we can convince her to do Tecumseh Valley".
Pure coincidence, I swear.

*

Sierra Ferrell - Dolly Parton's Coat Of Many Colors

Not bad, not bad at all. As I've said before, I don't like everything Sierra Ferrell puts out, but the stuff she puts out that I like, I really, really like.

*


A tribute to Levon Helm and one of my very favorite scenes in the movie The Last Waltz. Start it at the one minute mark to skip the commentary.

*

Sierra Hull on The Grateful Dead's "Black Muddy River"

Sierra Hull outdoes the Dead covering their own song. I'm not kidding, she blows it out of the water, and I think the mandolin is what did the trick. Fantastic cover.

9 comments:

  1. Kristen Funk - Tecumseh Valley -Couldn't understand her at all. Balance was wrong, the wind and the guitar overpowered her voice. It was a bad recording. You're supposed to record the VIDEO in a wild place, and the AUDIO in a sound stage. And this is why.
    Sierra Ferrell - Dolly Parton's Coat Of Many Colors - Nice. Liked this one.
    The Band The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - I'm here for a song, not a docudrama. Alright song once you get past that though.
    Sierra Hull on The Grateful Dead's "Black Muddy River" - Couldn't understand her at all. Too tinny. yuk. Nice instrument though!

    John G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen Funk - I can understand her perfectly. She's an amateur as you can tell by the fact that video's been out for a month but only had 210 views when I checked before this posted. I'm pretty sure this was recorded on her phone or a camera, because not everybody can afford a fancy production studio. And I thought the guitar and voice was a nice balance, regardless. Neither overpowered the other.
      Sierra Ferrell - Not bad, but doesn't really move me.
      The Band - Not sure what you're talking about when you say docudrama. Is it the commentary I said you might want to skip or is it the story of the song, something every song has?
      Sierra Hull - Try listening harder, it's clear to me.

      It's true, you just can't make some people happy.

      Delete
    2. Post some Taylor Swift for John G next week, Wirecutter. That seems to be more his speed.

      Delete
    3. Do you watch reruns of Lawrence Welk, JohnG?
      CC

      Delete
  2. The Night They Drove Old Dixie.......Absolutely the finest artistic work about The Cause. I still find myself singing this song to myself 50 years later! Martin left us a gold nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Browsing music on Youtube, I came across Sierra Hull with Ricky Scaggs doing "River of Jordan'. Best I've found of her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting that vid of Kristin Funk. Very very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sierra Hull - A good cover of my favorite Dolly Parton song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Sierra Ferrell doing the Dolly Parton song, not Sierra Hull.
      What is it with you always commenting on posts 4-5 days behind?

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.