Pages


Friday, August 25, 2023

Cowboy Junkies Trinity Revisited (Live)

The first time I ever heard of the Cowboy Junkies was in the late 1980s. Saturday night, I was stoned out of my mind, and flipping through the TV guide when I saw Saturday Night Live's musical guest was the Cowboy Junkies.
I hadn't watched SNL in years, but I thought, "Cowboy Junkies? With a name like that, I have to check this out." I was expecting some dumbass punk rock group that couldn't make music to save their lives, but what I got when they came out was Margot Timmons coming out on stage looking all fine with her high hair and singing 'Sweet Jane' in one hell of a seductive tone. I can't find that clip anywhere, but I'll link to a video of that song from about that same time down below the track list so you can see what I mean.
Anyways, the second song they did that night, 'Misguided Angel', was just as good as the first, so I found myself down that the record store the next morning buying the cassette tape.
I bought the next two albums and while they weren't bad, this one was unarguably the best for just some nice mellow music. Be sure to check out '200 Miles' too - great music for those late night drives down a lonesome road.


SONG LIST

1. Mining For Gold    (removed due to copyright issues)
2. Misguided Angel
3. Blue Moon Revisited
4. I Don’t Get It
5. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry
6. To Love Is To Bury
7. 200 More Miles
8. Dreaming My Dreams With You
9. Working On a Building
10. Sweet Jane
11. Postcard Blues
12. Walking After Midnight

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane - Tonight Show 5/4/89  (Start it at the 1 minute mark)

11 comments:

  1. Same here. I found them in a record bin, saw the old school Mic photo on the cover , and started listening. Saw them here in ATL at small venues a few times. Margo was and is a beauty, voice and appearance. They were very good live at The Sanctuary in ATL, we had great seats each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Have to say I much prefer the original versions and early performances. Natalie Merchant is a fake leftist bint, and seems to have influenced the later performances. Older is better.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Jane got me hooked on Cowboy Junkies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-14-e-13-leslie-nielsen-cowboy-junkies

    well I didn't find a clip, but I think I found the whole show....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cowboy Junkies I always liked. I believe three of them are brother and sister. "Soul like a Lucifer, black and cold like a piece of lead." Great lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another case of a cover being better than the original. I ain't knockin' Velvet Underground, just sayin' is all.

    I didn't know about them until that song appeared in the sound track for "Natural Born Killers"

    @Bright Eyes: Yeah, siblings. I checked Wikipedia, cuz I'm an old fart, so I don't remember lots of things, and what I do remember mostly annoys me when I'm trying to remember something else.
    - Mr. Mayo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Blue Moon Revisited on the old iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great album, i've listened to it 1000's of times. (maybe more).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Started to listen to "Dreaming My Dreams", suddenly realized it was a lame, tepid and uninspired copy of the original Waylon Jennings version off the album of the same name. Googled that, listened and cleansed my palate. Waylon and Hank, Jr. remain the originals. And still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first Cowboy Junkies album on CD made me buy my first CD player. Well worth the outrageous price at the time. All the music is good but Misguided Angel is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about a mellow live version of Sweet Jane?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7p1UmzikNI

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.