Pages


Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Your Feel-Good Story of the Day

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. (FOX 2) - When a Rochester Hills couple found a family bible dating back to 1851 –complete with Mother's Day cards, marriage and death certificates, letters and more– they knew it was too valuable to hold onto. 

Instead, Larry Schramm and his wife, Joyce, sought out its rightful heir with the help of FOX 2 Detroit. The only clue they had was the last name Wendell.

*****

I've always wondered what happened to my grandmother's family bible. It had tons of stuff in there, everything from the family tree to baptism and wedding certificates going back a few generations, probably mid 1850s.

3 comments:

  1. A below average investigator would have had no problems finding the family with all of the clues that they had with that bible.
    I have done extensive family research and there is just one set of gg great grand parents that I don't have enough information on.
    I have old family photos (1890-1930) that I have been trying to identify more of the people in them. Took my dad to visit his brother last April, and found the holy grail of family photo album (WITH NAMES)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, check the Aunts. They usually end up with all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one son who is into ancestry and has done some family history. But an unknown relative contacted our family when I was a kid, and had our history traced way back, to when we first came to America.
    It is an interesting story, if it is about yourself. About someone else, meh. But I did learn that my grandfather's brother was shot and killed on the steps of a post office, in a town in Michigan called Sparta, while trying to rob it for the payroll money on hand. The newspaper said he was a well known ne'er do well.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.