Pages


Friday, November 03, 2023

Documenting Death: Verdun's Military Museum

Learning about a battle is a multifaceted endeavor. You can learn from books, battlefield walks, YouTube videos (*ahem*) and most of all, by visiting museums. We're continuing our exploration of the Battle of Verdun in what will be our only museum visit for the trip. Check it out!
VIDEO HERE  (19 minutes)

*****

I love museums. Well, most museums. I have zero interest in art museums despite my parent's best efforts, but I'll cancel going to your wedding if I'm offered a chance to go to a historical or military museum.
I don't think there's a single small town in the Mother Lode of California from Mariposa to Placerville that I haven't been to at least once and most several times.

7 comments:

  1. WC...sorry off topic, but do you have ANY idea what happened to Western Rifle Shooter???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Verdun several times. It is an amazing place. To see the damage to the emplacements is very sobering. There are still areas that are NO GO because of unexploded ordinance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was able to visit that museum in the early 90's. As Anon 4:35 says, it is an amazing place and very sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are lots of mining museums north of Placerville (Hangtown) that are priceless too. The North Star Mining Museum (Grass Valley- home of an excellent collection of Pelton Wheels), the Kentucky Mine Museum just outside of Sierra City and the world famous Empire Mine State Park, where underground tours are available.

    They are the best of California history when the state was indeed Golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hit a few of the town museums up in the northern mining districts, but not nearly enough of them, maybe 3 or 4?

      Delete
  5. Bro, I'm 20 minutes from Hang-town. The history around here is crazy. If you have the time. Google Rattle Snake Dick. Lot's of bad guys. I'm pretty good friends with EDCSO.(El Dorado County Sheriffs Office). They have their own museum inside the sheriffs office. Including Rattle Snake Dicks single action army. Rattle Snake Dick, a name given two him by the ladies of the evening, pulled off the biggest Wells Fargo Robbery ever. God Forbid, if you're ever around here again, hit me up. I'll buy you a beer or two.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.