Pages


Monday, December 11, 2023

Saturday evening's tornadoes

First off, I want to thank those of you that checked in on us to make sure we were safe. We are, but I was beginning to wonder there for a minute.

Here I was sitting here minding my own damned business getting ready to watch some old episodes of my favorite gay TV program, Antiques Roadshow, when my mother-in-law who lives in Portland called and asked what we were going to do with that tornado in Gallatin headed up our way. I told her I hadn't heard anything about it, she told me it beat the hell out of Henderson, then tore up Gallatin and was headed northeast towards us to kick our asses. That's when the weather radio finally decided to wake up and warn us.
Uh-huh, I heard about it from Sue before I did from the weather service. Crack team, them government boys.

I usually don't pay much attention to our weather radio's NOAA tornado warnings because they broadcast them before damned near every thunderstorm, and that gets old when it happens what seems like 50 times a year. This one caught my attention though when the alarm went off with "There is a deadly radar confirmed tornado on the ground in Gallatin and is headed towards Macon County at 60 miles per hour. Take shelter immediately. Caution: Total destruction of mobile homes and houses is imminent. Sucks to be you."
That's it, fuck up my Saturday evening. Asshole tornado.

I've never heard a storm warning saying there was a tornado on the ground headed towards us. On the ground and headed somewhere else, yes. Headed towards us, no. Actually, I think that's the first time I've heard the word 'deadly' in an NOAA warning, so I snatched up Lisa and that asshole dog Jack and went across the road to our neighbors and hung out in their basement with them until the danger passed, about an hour and a half, me entertaining everybody with fun facts like it was a mere 15 years ago that an EF3 tornado ripped through our area and killed 18 people in Macon County alone.

We got hit with some heavy lightning and thunderstorms and 1.13" of rain, but that was about it. No high winds here, but it's pretty hard to tell from inside a basement. Actually, I don't think we got any winds above 20 mph seeing as I didn't have so much as a twig laying around on the property Sunday morning. I don't know if the tornado headed towards us lifted, shifted directions, or just petered out.

My brother-in-law's wife and her sister who is visiting from Mexico were in a store just north of the tornado's path doing some Christmas shopping when it hit. Management locked the doors and wouldn't let anybody leave until they got the all clear. Naturally, cell service was out, so I imagine my brother-in-law was understandably worried until Fina was finally able to get through to him.
I bet after that Fina's sister was ready to get her ass back home to southern Mexico where all she has to worry about are volcanos, the occasional hurricane, and cartel violence.

I did appreciate the fact that it happened in the early evening though instead of that 2 AM bullshit when they're normally scheduled. I hate getting woke up in the middle of the night.

But yeah, both Hendersonville and Gallatin to the SW of us, and Springfield and Clarksville due west got hit, but we were spared yet again.
I don't know how much damage Gallatin had, but Lisa's got a doctor's appointment there on Wednesday and her doctor's office was right in the path between Hendersonville and Gallatin, so I guess we'll find out then unless they call today and say it's cancelled because the building got, well, cancelled as well.

Here's a 7 minute video from about a city block away of the Clarksville tornado tearing shit up. I can't believe that the white car spun a U-turn to head back towards the tornado and then turns at the intersection right in front of it!

27 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your scheduled tornado was a no-show. Those 'weather event' will renovate a home toot sweet.

    I think the name "Fina" is shortened from Josefina (Josephine en ingles), at least that is my understanding. i have a couple of those named the same in my family too. I hope the rest of her 'American Tour' is happy and uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off topic, but don't watch Antiques Road Show unless you want to be totally frustrated that some guy goes to the same junky flea market you do and picks up an old jug to hold pencils in, and it turns out to be a Ming vase (pronounced 'vazzz') worth $2 mil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a buddy that was into antiques, mostly western Americana, and hit all the local flea markets. One day he bought a complete 1960s MG tool roll for 20 bucks, then later sold it on eBay for something like 800 dollars to some guy in Australia who was restoring an old MG.

      Delete
  3. We got the weather radio blaring at 4:15am with "radar shows circulation in line of storms heading to Auburn, Beauregard (of EF4 fame), Chambers Corners..." Woke Pretty Wife up and we headed to the safe room to ride it out till 5:30am. Good times. I watched (1/4 mile away) the EF4 that tore Washington IL a new one go buy one nice Sunday morning in November a few years ago. The tornado siren lasted about 8 seconds before it was sent flying. Not good times as we knew one of the people killed.

    Spin

    Spin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we were just chillin' when I heard something odd. I went outside and heard the klaxon of the tornado siren as it turned to point down our valley. There was lightning on the horizon that was like that of the storms a few years ago (during which I am sure a small tornado went thru the trees on the hill above the house). Then the wind and rain hit us hard. I was out on the porch for a while, listening for the freight train. It never came and, after a while, everything calmed down.

    It was odd to see my wife go into overdrive in response. She normally does not get too excited by weather events; but after 40 years of being around her, I could tell she was quite concerned. We too, came thru with only a mild amount of debris scattered about. I looked at the weather radar just after I heard the sirens and it was very ugly.

    I am glad that we all got through it all okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have tornado sirens in our area?
      I've only heard them one time, and they were waaay off in the distance so I assumed they were in town.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Glad you dodged the storms. Nothing that bad in my AO, but I think there were three confirmed tornadoes in Jefferson County (Birmingham). That video is wicked. I hope whoever was in the small white SUV is counting their blessings!

      Delete
  5. Glad you and the misses were safe. - Nemo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tornadoes are quite rare in Australia, but do occur. The MSM airheads give me the shits whenever one does happen to brew up (every two years or so) by excitedly referring to the weather event as a ‘mini-tornado’. FFS, it’s either a tornado or it isn’t.
    A Cat.2 tropical cyclone is currently wending it’s way west to the Far North Queensland coast after it’s birth in the Solomons. Cyclone Jasper is unlikely to cause much damage unless it ramps up in intensity before landfall, much like your northern hemisphere hurricanes, cyclonic storms are variable but true Cat. 5+ killers are uncommon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn bro ..... I've been working sun up to sun down the last several weeks and have been out of touch with most everything...... Just saw the news of the tornadoes up that way while waiting on my coffee pot, good to see y'all are ok and nothing happened.......
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  8. US or UK Roadshow?
    I don't watch the UK one; it's definitely gay.
    Glad the spinning wind missed ya.
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US Roadshow. I've never seen the UK version.
      My favorites are the ones labeled 'vintage' where they re-run a show from years back and then show how much a piece has gone up or down in value.

      Delete
  9. "entertaining everybody with fun facts"

    There's one of those guys in every crowd. Usually, it's me. Well played, Sir! Glad you're still here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you guys are okay - we were thinking about you along with some other friends in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too wondered how you did during the tornadoes. Glad you made it thru.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right about now would be a good time to own a backhoe and a pile of concrete forms in the shape of a storm shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know you guys are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've noticed that the perceived danger often depends upon what you're used to. I had a gal working for me that grew up in Kansas. She thought nothing of tornados but earth quakes gave her the willies. I, on the other hand, having spent a few decades in California, don't even blink at most earthquakes but tornados are way down my list of acceptable behavior.

    Montana has acceptable amounts of both. There have been two tornados here in my lifetime, fifty years apart and I slept through the only earthquake in 1959 centered in Yellowstone over 100 miles away. (Our then next door neighbors are still buried by that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if you subscribe tor Ryan Hall ya'll YT channel you'd get warned much faster.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ryan+hall+y%27all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that guy.
      My neighbors had him on when we were there. He was telling folks in my area that we were about to get creamed and to take cover shortly after NOAA and the real weather stations gave us the all clear.
      Ryan Hall gets paid by the number of hits he gets, so he over-dramatizes everything. I once heard him telling Nashville viewers to take cover and brace for a tornado. The tornado he was talking about was on the other side of Little Rock. It never did make it into Tennessee.
      His long range forecasts are usually close, but I won't watch his storm-tracker stuff.

      Delete
  16. I sat on the porch with a drink, as I always do. We didn't even get high winds at my place. * miles north, in Springfield, Kroger got damaged, Valvoline & Jet's Pizza got destroyed. Over in Clarksville, where I'm working, several folks at the plant lost homes.
    Glad to hear y'all are OK, Ken.
    --Tennessee Budd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the one that hit Springfield just touched down, hung out in one area and lifted back up again as localized as the damage was. Or am I not getting the big picture?

      The one in Clarksville though..... Holy shit. It kicked some ass. Check out this video a local friend and reader WaitingfortheStorm emailed me. About the 1:30 mark, it shows a car being swallowed up, then when it passes there's a woman on the bottom right of your screen sitting on the side of the road looking seriously stunned and confused.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKH2GhZQMAA

      Delete
  17. Blessings to you and Lisa, Kenny. I thought about you guys when I heard about the weather and sent a prayer. Those damn twisters seem to be attracted to mobile homes, too. I remember when I was doing Radio in MS, one week we had a snowstorm resulting in the bridge into town being iced-over, to next week a tornado hitting West of town but leveling a trailer park and killing 6 or 7 people. Wicked winds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear you are OK. I moved from NE ATL down near Ft Stewart and I have been in a comm brown out for the past week. I just got real internet up tonight, Monday. My Brother-in-law sold his house in Red Boiling Springs two weeks ago and the new owners were scheduling some remodeling before they moved in. The house no longer has a roof. No one was there but the roof an top floor are pretty much gone.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.