Pages


Friday, February 16, 2024

Well, so much for her credibility

“He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger.”

That’s the scenario that played out this past October for Charlotte Cowles, a financial advice columnist for The Cut, a lifestyle and women’s interest publication underneath the umbrella of New York Magazine.

Since 2016, Cowles has written a regular column for the site called “My Two Cents,” in which she responded to reader questions about personal finance, saving money, creating budgets and, among other topics, avoiding scams.

But last year on Halloween, Cowles found herself on the other end of the exchange, her seeming expertise not preventing her from falling victim to a complex scheme that resulted in her giving a scammer much of her life’s savings.

8 comments:

  1. It is easy to give advice. But to walk the talk is a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it in one: "her seeming expertise". My granny wouldn't (didn't, in fact) fall for a story like this. Whatcha got here, folks, is yer classic credentialed participation trophy winner. Who just got schooled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fool, money.........end of story.
    Jpaul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a similar call: the car found down by the border in Texas; an armed raid on a drug house; my name on all kinds of properties; dire consequences. Usually I hang up, but this guy could really spin a yarn, so I let him talk for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Financial advisor with no financial certifications, isn't someone who will dispense any advice outside of generalizations. A glance at her articles show you could hear the same at the lunch table with your co-workers. Thanks but I'm not taking advice from someone who writes about budgeting from a TikTok influencer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got a call from some guy a couple years ago. He said he was FB1 but sounded like he was from Deli. Told me they were headed to my house with arrest warrants for back taxes. I told him, "Cmon, Sanjeet. Bring everything you got." Never heard back from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar call. Asked whether I lived at 3 Rochester st. I thanked him profusely, telling him that I was lost and couldn't remember my home address. Fucker hung up on me.
    Bill the Bunyip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had the same thing pulled on me, except it was the "DOJ". Brought in my retiired attorney wife, and the other party hung up.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.