Pages


Friday, March 08, 2024

Tornado Clusters: Where the most tornadoes have been recorded in Tennessee since 1950

Some spots in Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky seem to be tornado magnets. Some communities have seen multiple twisters blow through over the years. 

Since 1950, Davidson County has experienced 58 tornadoes. Wilson County has had 55 tornadoes, Sumner County 52, and Rutherford County 45.

*****

Yup, it's that time of the year again.
That map shows 52 tornadoes in Sumner County, 55 in Wilson and only 17 in what appears to be Macon and Trousdale counties combined. It does appear that most tornadoes do seem to dissipate before they hit Macon County, at least from what I've seen since we moved here.
Notice I said most. We caught a small one near my house a couple three years after we moved here, causing quite a bit of damage at the house across the road while only knocking down a pecan tree at my place. I believe that one was a spin-off from a slightly larger one that touched down about a mile north of my house.
Then there was the 2008 tornado that barely missed Lafayette, but ripped up my road killing a bunch of people before veering off to the east and thoroughly fucking shit up and completely destroying a church two miles to my southeast. I think the final death toll from that one was 13 Macon County residents.

6 comments:

  1. Clustered around the state politicians and other high crime area.
    Steve S6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have observed the data regarding these tornado clusters, and helplessly watched the destruction wrought through mobile home parks and the poorer neighborhoods. After gathering considerable data, I conclude tornadoes are caused by trailers, four-wheel drive pickups, big hair dos, sweet iced tea and Mountain Dew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in Jackson, Tennessee we were well aware of Tornados. You need to add Papst Blue Ribbon and Rebel Flags to that list.

      Delete
  3. I wonder about the numbers. I guarantee that we had a tornado on our property a few years ago. I had cork screwed trees in the debris field. We had trees broken in half 15 feet off the ground and the tops of the trees were almost a hundred feet from the stumps. The damage was not reported as a tornado on any of the tracking sites I saw. Missed our house by no more than 100 yards. It took road crews several hours to open the road (I know, I was on the porch wide awake almost all night) above the house and that stretch of the road was flanked by twisted hulks of destruction; to be sure most of that was straight line wind damage. I lived in Houston TX for 23 years and nothing the hurricanes ever did scared me like I was that evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the same tornado I referred to. I recall you telling me about the damage. It snapped my neighbor's power pole, uprooted 3 pecan trees and threw them against their house and tore up their roof. Then it must've lifted slightly going over my house and landed in my back yard taking out my pecan tree before heading over towards your place.

      Delete
  4. Now if we could only direct them to DC.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.