Pages


Friday, June 21, 2024

Photos of Helmet Graffiti in the Vietnam War

One of the most infamous photographs taken during the Vietnam War is of a soldier starting intensely into the camera. Right above his direct stare, is a very simple, yet poignant statement: “War is Hell.” 

The photograph of this soldier and his helmet graffiti was taken by photojournalist Horst Faas on June 18, 1965, during the Vietnam War with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Battalion. It has become one of the most iconic and unforgettable images to come out of the Vietnam War.
-WiscoDave

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for that WC. - Nemo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Charlie Sheens helmet graffiti (platoon) made into these pics.
    Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting info, thanks WiscoDave and Wirecutter
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had lots of stuff, one time I had, "Pray for Slack" I think that was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a picture of my father in Vietnam when he was with the 1st Cav. , his helmet said "California Dreaming"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone should tell Carl Seaver that "infamous" doesn't mean "really really famous".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had Snoopy giving the finger and saying “Fuck You Charlie”, shortly after putting it on there we came under fire crossing a rice paddy and I was sure “Charlie” could see it, read it and was trying to kill me in particular. I was running as fast as I could through the mud and water but I scooped up a handful of mud to hide Snoopy. It was funny at the time and it’s still funny today, I wish I still had that helmet cover.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.