Pages


Wednesday, September 04, 2024

An email from snuffy:


I'm involved with a breed rescue for Fila Brasileiro. I know you're a dog guy. We're in kind of a bind with a recent rescue. I'm not really looking for money, I'm hoping there is someone who might be willing to give this girl a chance at a good life. She's a sweetheart , but she has some issues. 

This is Indie. Less than 5 hours after first meeting her. Her story as far as we know is she was picked up as a stray on Indiana Ave. In Philly. She looks no older than 3. She is absolutely not aggressive. She's about 20 to 30 lbs underweight. She is scared. With a capital S. The kennel guy had to lift her into my car. She absolutely did not want to go in. Once in, she was calm. I had the back window down just about 3 inches. Somehow, she got her paws on it, pushed it down, and got half way out, before I got stopped and grabbed her. That was within a half hour of picking her up. Never became hostile. I couldn't get a picture of her head on my shoulder while I was driving, less than 3 hours after I picked her up.  No food aggression.  I don't know if she's ever been in a car or a house. The people who wanted to adopt her claimed to be Fila savvy, have had her for 2 days now and are turning her back over to the rescue. Again, no hostility. She doesn't know stairs. No leash manners. The best way to describe her is a 3 year old puppy that has never had any training. No sit, no shake. But as smart as a 3 year old Fila. Looking for someone familiar with the breed. Hopefully a yard with a 6 foot fence. Word is she is continually trying to escape. She only needs to be right once. //////////////Ken, please edit as you see fit. I know I'm all over the place here. We have other dogs available as well, but this one is urgent. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
-snuffy

*****

If you can help, shoot me an email at k59lane@yahoo.com and I'll hook y'all up.
She does look like a sweetheart though, doesn't she?
 


18 comments:

  1. Update as of late last night: the adopters have gotten her to calm down a bit, and after talking to the lady that runs the rescue, have agreed to give her some more time. Hopefully they will be able to keep her. I'd still like to hear from anyone with other options. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, transport can be arranged pretty much anywhere in the lower 48.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet those two younger gals were really something to "behold".

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I rescue Great Danes and English Mastiffs, I wish I had more experience in the care of that breed. Hopefully someone with the breed experience will come up, if in the future you were to happen to come into contact with any Danes or female Mastiffs please consider us, Alex 205-221-6626.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologize, my number is 205-221-6629

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. The rescue is in Jasper. She does network with other rescues, mostly mastiff breeds. There's a couple in upstate New York that have around 5 or 6 EMs, who have fostered some Filas for us.

      Delete
  5. I have an 18 month old Rottie that takes all my time and money now, or I would be interested. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have absolutely no knowledge of the breed,sad,as retired and work when I want the one thing I do have is the time to work with/get to know a pup,hopefully there is someone like me with the knowledge to give this pup a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Human attention, contact & love might not be all she needs, but it's a good start.
    She's been let down by people & it's going to take some time for her to trust again.
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, seems like this shit happens a lot in Philly. my old dog Slim was caught running the streets of west Philly. he was about 6-8 months when we got him.
      and did he ever stick by me for about 6 months or so or I guess until he figured he was good and safe. big old roadie, all of 110 pounds of him too. didn't look it though. he was all bone and muscle. great with little kids, adults, not so much.
      ended up being a damn good dog. it 3 years and we still miss his ass. we have 2 dogs again, but it not the same without Slim.
      wish I could help, really, but no fence and don't get around like I used too.
      looks like a damn fine dog though. she be good for someone willing to work with her. dave in pa.

      Delete
    2. What a smoochable face.

      Delete
  8. I'll keep an eye on this, Don't want or need another... However, a dog in need...
    Don't let her die.
    I'll help if needed. My Huskies might like a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's safe at the adopters right now. She seems to be acclimating to the situation. If they do decide they can't keep her, she'll be transported to the rescue in Alabama. The lady that runs it, pretty much single handed, has about a dozen Filas, give or take, and a pittie that are in need of homes. As I said, we have a network of transporters that will get any of them to a good home, anywhere in the lower 48, maybe Alaska. I'm not sure what kind of hoops we'd have to jump through for Canada, but I'm sure we'd give it a shot.

      Delete
  9. She looks like my male Fila Goober. I have a female as well, Mordidita. They are both back at the farm in Nicaragua. If you can get the sweetheart to the border of Maine, or even into Nova Scotia, I would take her. Fila are a handful but loyal sweet animals when they are not trying to eat trespassers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one had her head on my shoulder as I was driving, less than 3 hours after I first laid eyes on her. Never had an adult accept someone so quickly. My latest info is she has calmed down quite a bit and they are going to continue working with her. They haven't introduced her to the other 3 non Filas yet. So things are not yet 100% settled. Please let Ken have your email and I will put you in touch with the lady that runs the rescue. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I really appreciate what you've done.

      Delete
    3. I think the proper term would be "mensch".

      Delete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.