Pages


Thursday, October 10, 2024

A message from Big Country

Just now got this at 0530.

Safe.  
Minimal Damage(s) personally 

It got a wee bit hairy at 0130 when the surge came 5 feet up the driveway....   THAT TBH was scary AF seeing a lake where my street was.   20+ years here and NEVER had anything like that before 

TONS of branches down and trees stripped bare.  

No generator set up yet.  Waiting until daylight, unlike the neighbors who busted them out as soon as the storm went past... Those folks have NOT set up security on them either.

Power I think is going to be down a looong minute.

Already made contact w/the former DotMil neighbors who, like me were doing BDA at 0530 (battle damage assessment).  

Having a backup cell phone if only for power is a REALLY good idea, as the lil chineseum back up powerpack I -had- (of course) took a shit and was/is inop.  

This also meant the lil LED USB lights were/are worthless as no place to plug the USB gizmo into 

Kenny if you could let the folks know I'd appreciate it.  It's gonna be a minute B4 I poast as far as I know 

An interesting experience so far.

Drinking water -might- become an issue per the radio.   Which also:  get a small AM/FM/SW1-2 Radio w/a hand crank.  

Never realized just how quiet this place is without the civilizational noises around....

More Later
Billy/BCE

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for passing that on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for publishing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us are really prepared for this. It’s just survival at its best. Just need to stay calm and collected while no one else is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. News up here said that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but it still sounds like a mess. Glad to hear you and yours are ok.
    Coelacanth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up, stayed up till 2am watching the big H go right over his ass. A little verklempt at the relatively great news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for giving us the update, Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are ok, yeah it'll be a minute or two before electric is back up, I was without the grid for a month after Ida..... Be safe
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mr. Lane for the public service announcement. Knuckledraggin is my first cyber stop in the morning and I was hoping to see his site had been updated with good news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that’s certainly some good news. BCE will be helping others shortly I bet. This is what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, that "quiet"...I love that quiet after the storm when the buzz of electricity is down and I can hear the voice of God again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had a Radio Shack "Realistic" AM/FM/SW radio I purchased about 25 years ago, back when they made some decent stuff. Worked OK last year, but when I pulled it out before Helene, it was DOA. And no, I never stored batteries in it.

    New one arrives today via Amazon, with added NOAA Weather channels and a digital display.

    I've always insisted on SW bands because you never know when you'll need news with a different (maybe even honest) slant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear, might need to make a beer run. How did the Hair Diva make out?

    Spin

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.