Pages


Friday, October 25, 2024

Oh No! Not Phil Lesh!

Grateful Dead icon Phil Lesh has died aged 84.

The bassist and founding member of the rock band 'passed peacefully' on Friday, October 25 - a statement on his Instagram page confirmed.

The statement read:  'Phil Lesh, bassist and founding member of The Grateful Dead, passed peacefully this morning. 
MORE

*****

One of my favorite stories about Phil Lesh was he kept getting nominated for a Bay Area Music Award (BAMmie), but never showed up to collect it. He finally gave in and accepted the award on the condition that they not nominate him any more.

He was incredibly talented, not just with his six string bass, but other instruments as well. I went to listen to the band play, but spent my evening watching Phil who was so laid back it wasn't funny.

5 comments:

  1. I was never a deadhead but they did have some great songs
    Rest in Peace Phil
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. To love is to Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listened to Big Steve telling stories about Phil on Sirius this evening. He was a beast in his day, confrontational and smart too. RIP Phil I'm in Lewiston ME listening to the tribute of 18 killed by a psycho and then learn this, awful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't really listen to them much but you can't have a album collection without them. Guess I'll dig them out & give them a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s been said people like the Grateful Dead’s music. Then they sober up. I was never a fan of their music but played a fair amount with various rock bands over the years. I do agree Lesh was an outstanding bassist (yes that’s the instrument I play also). I loved the tone he got playing the Alembic with active pickups.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.