Friday, March 09, 2012

Fel's mangy coyote

Fel sent this in as a comment to an earlier post. This wasn't a sport shooting, this was a predation shoot, the coyote had been killing his chickens.
Notice how mangy this rascal is. Bald patches on his side and no hair on the tail. He was actually doing this dog a favor when he shot and killed it. Once they're manged up that bad, they won't make through another winter.
Fully 90% of the coyotes I've shot have been mangy. I shot one a couple of years ago that had some mange visible when I walked up, but when I flipped him over, he had no hair at all on the other side, nothing but scabs and festering sores.
As a side note, I've been told by folks that know that mange is not natural in coyotes, that it's spread by domesticated dogs. I find that curious as most of the coyotes I've shot have had mange, yet I can't remember the last time I saw a domesticated dog with the disease, even farm dogs.
Mange is caused by tiny little mites that burrow into the skin, so if you ever do run across something like this, do not touch it. Don't take the chance of taking that shit home with you., hiding in your clothes. If you want to check your exit wound, flip it with a stick.