Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hit 'em hard and fast

I know Krav Maga is a recognized fighting technigue but when I first saw it my only thought is "Shit, that's just good ol' street fighting - kicking, shoving, biting and gouging. I've been doing that all my life!" Well, yeah, it is street fighting but it's more than that. I'm not a student, so I can't tell you what all is involved but I've been able to pick out a few things about it like using balance to your advantage, pressure points, and hard, fast follow-up on every move. Never slow down or stop once the fight begins. And obviously lots of practice.

Pops always stressed that there is no such thing as a fair fight. Any fight that you are in for more than about 5 seconds is a fight you're for sure going to get hurt in and very possibly lose. His advice to me was to think, never lose your temper and find the biggest goddamned stick I could handle, but a rock will do in a pinch. Stay as far away from him as I can and hurt him. If I have to close with him, hit him with the heel of my hand. If I get pinned, bite something until I can taste blood, then bite harder. Gouge eyeballs, break eardrums, make that motherfucker cry like a little bitch.
Pretty heady advice for a third grader. Thank God I wasn't strong enough at that age to do any real damage.




The only thing I can think of that I would've done that he didn't was to break the elbow when he was standing over him with his opponent's arm straightened out. A quick kick and he's done.

I've noticed a few Krav Maga studios (or whatever the fuck you call them) around - might be worth looking into.
Naw, I'll probably break a hip or something. I'll just stick to shooting motherfuckers.