IRVINE (CA) – The city will do everything possible to protect its neighborhoods from coyotes, Irvine Mayor Sukhee Kang pledged Tuesday night.
His comments come after an incident in which a large coyote charged at an Irvine father at the front door of his townhome. The man says that the predator was after his 1-year-old son, who was sick and had been crying for hours inside.
An Irvine man says a coyote charged him recently, but stopped short of attacking him.
Reports of coyotes killing pets are commonplace in Irvine, said longtime resident Suzanne Nicklaus, whose cat was eaten last week by two or three of the predators.
Nicklaus pointed to her own loss and to the incident with the man and his son in asking the City Council on Tuesday night to disseminate warnings and information to residents and to control or thin the local coyote population.
Irvine is so safe, she said, that it leads residents to believe they can wander through parks and open spaces into the night with their children.
"That's a great thing, because we are not afraid of human predators, but I think we need to be more aware that the four-legged ones are in our area," she said. "I want to feel safe when I go to the Woodbridge pools at night or when I walk in the morning."
Thanks to Emile for the heads-up.