Pages


Saturday, October 13, 2012

Constitution 101 and 201

Wisco Dave sent me an email this morning asking if I knew anything about Hillsdale's online Constitutional courses and sent along the link. http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/
I signed up for them (free, with a small donation requested) but haven't gotten to check anything out yet other than the written introduction on the 101 and 201 courses but they do sound very interesting.
Constitution 101 schedule:
1. The American MindLarry P. Arnn

2. The Declaration of Independence
Thomas G. West

3. The Problem of Majority Tyranny
David Bobb

4. Separation of Powers: Preventing Tyranny
Kevin Portteus

5. Separation of Powers: Ensuring Good Government
Will Morrisey

6. Religion, Morality, and Property
David Bobb

7. Crisis of Constitutional Government
Will Morrisey

8. Abraham Lincoln and the Constitution
Kevin Portteus

9. The Progressive Rejection of the Founding
Ronald J. Pestritto

10. The Recovery of the Constitution
Larry P. Arnn



And then we get to 201 and things start to pick up a little bit.
Constitution 201 schedule:
1.The Founders’ Constitution and the Challenge of ProgressivismLarry P. Arnn

2.Woodrow Wilson and the Rejection of the Founders’ Principles
Ronald J. Pestritto

3.Woodrow Wilson and the Rejection of the Founders’ Constitution
Ronald J. Pestritto

4.Overview: Founders vs. Progressives
Thomas G. West

5.FDR’s New Bill of Rights
William Morrisey

6.Total Regulation: LBJ’s Great Society
Kevin Portteus

7.The Transformation of America’s Political Institutions
Kevin Portteus

8.Post-1960s Progressivism
John Grant

9.Case Study: Religious Liberty in the Administrative State
Thomas G. West

10.Restoring Constitutional Government
Larry P. Arnn

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to get into any of it yet so this ain't an endorsement, just a heads up for a tool that you might be able to use.

24 comments:

  1. Signed up. Can I cheat off of you, wc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I took freshman english FOUR times before they finally pity-passed me. Do you really want to cheat off of me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated Cum Laude. Twice. You can cheat off of me, but it'll cost ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. If I cheat off of you and pass the course, you have to give me your Sig. It's not a 9mm is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this is Hillsdale College in Michigan, it doesn't surprise me. It's a great conservative college hidden in a small town in mid/south michigan. I love working out that way.

    -Singing Detective

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fuck, I'm never going to live down getting a 9mm, am I? Damn, damn, damn...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HWA, Nope, a 40 don't kick no worse than a 9mm but packs a better punch. I bought myself a brand new S&W M&P 40 for my 50th birthday, can you say SWEEEEET??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, well, shucks guys, line up and let me shoot you. If you're all still standing, I'll accept that I fucked up and go get a .40.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're going to get a new pistol, quit fucking around and get a 45. The whole 'which is a better manstopper: 45 vs 9mm' argument was decided the day that Jarred whathisname shot Gabby Giffords in the head at pointblank range with a 9mm and not only did she survive but she's doing remarkably well. Had he used a 45, her brains would've been in the begonias. Just sayin'.
    The 40 is a compromise for people that are afraid of real guns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Afraid my ASS, I'll Shoot anything WC. It comes down to; what is a good carry piece? My S&W 357 Mag. revolver is a bit more of a challange to cancelle the printing when in the Florida heat. Also, remember, ALL of our federal departments are using 40 cal's, there nay be some spare ammo on the market cheap in the near future, if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hillsdale is a shining example of conservative education. They do NOT accept any government support/grants/aid, and do not admit students on federal grants. Thus, they do NOT have to submit to federal rules and regulations.

    They also publish a great monthly magazine, Imprimus, which is free for the asking. Good intellectual conservative thought each month. You can sign up online.

    Yes, you do end up on their fundraising list, but I consider my donations to them as an investment in liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly can't believe you didn't ban my ass for having a wussy pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can excuse ignorance but I won't tolerate stupidity. You've realized you've made a mistake and are willing to rectify it. No reason to ban you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HWA, W.C. could NEVER do that, you are waaaaay too entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no, I ban her 4 or 5 times a week. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have taken 101. Very inscructive. Learned alot I didn't know. 201 I have yet to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WC, I promise the next gun I buy will be a .45. I'll send pics of me at the range and my best target.

    Sometimes he bans me for absolutely nothing. Most of the time it's for nothing. I think he gets his jollies that way. And thank you Devil Tong, you're a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Almost feel bad I CC a Sig P226 in 9mm.
    Bought it back in the mid 80's, before the 40 came out. I do have a Colt Combat Commander in .45. Had some concerns about CCW with it cocked & locked (legal, not safety).
    Looking now for a Keltec SUB-2000 with Sig grips.
    hiswiserangel:Midway sells some Mec Gar magazines that are great. 18 round flush fit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Oh no, I ban her 4 or 5 times a week. Trust me."

    Seriously? I don't know how I missed this little nugget of bullshit, but I bet you don't even remember the last time you banned me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @hiswiserangel
    You are most certainly welcome.
    They sure are sweet - I have two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wiserangel - you're banned now for being a wiserass.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This doesn't count, wc. And you still don't know. :-P

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.