Pages


Friday, November 30, 2012

I KNEW IT!!!!!

Running, long considered a healthy hobby, may actually be dangerous for some. At least that’s the prevailing opinion of a number of the country’s top cardiologists and a new study due out next month from British journal Heart.
According to the editorial, endurance training and marathon running can literally push your heart to its limit, causing a variety of acute problems, such as arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat, and lasting damage, including calcification and scarring.
Some of these problems are impossible to predict, even if you’re an athlete who has been extensively pre-screened with cardiac tests prior to training. For older athletes, the toll that running takes may even outweigh the benefits gained from exercise, the study claims.
For many, the new information doesn’t add up. Why, for instance, would athletes who have been training for many years suddenly experience heart trouble associated with running?
The answer is simple. Intense physical exercise for long periods has the potential to take a toll on the body, in some cases aging it more quickly.
MORE

*****

Yeah, I haven't ran (except from the cops) since I got out of the army in 1981. Fuck that shit. If I need to get somewhere fast, I drive.
There was a running guru back in the 1970s or 80s named Dr. Jim Fixx (I have an incredible memory for names) that died from a heart attack during his daily run which I thought was fucking hilarious.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome ! Now I can go back to the couch and not feel guilty- woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did he die, the autopsy found he'd had several smaller attacks before; he'd 'run through the pain' instead of seeing a doctor.

    Someone asked me a couple of years back why I didn't run, told her that was something I did if I didn't have a gun and needed to get to one.

    Looking back, there really are reasons I'm single...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you keep it to a few miles at a shot, I don't think it hurts you. I run several miles multiple times a week, and I feel better for it. My humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still tell the Jim Fixx story about once a year.

    I used to run. I believe that running on a regular basis will often result in worn out parts when you are older.

    j.m.h.o.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These fuckin people , you don`t have to go out and try the Currahee run to get in shape. Walking at your normal pace for REASONABLE distances is the best thing you can do.Check out Sandman`s O.V.M. Blog , the physical target`s they set for their Vol`s. , are realistic and a good start point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I feel the urge to exercise coming on I lie down on the couch until it passes.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.