Pages


Sunday, August 19, 2012

Woman who rescued animals killed in dog attack

As much shit as I've caught over my Big Bad Wolf post from all the PETAphiles and Kumbaya-ers I wish the headline had read Wolf attack instead.
It's too bad the young lady died, but the simple fact of the matter is that not all living creatures respond to love and cuddles, and they just don't understand that all you want to do is give them a kiss and a doggie treat.
Some animals you just have to stay the fuck away from.

*****

A Georgia college student who cared for abandoned animals for nearly a decade was attacked and killed by a dog, police said.
Rebecca Carey, 23, was killed at her Decatur home sometime over the weekend, MyFoxAtlanta.com reports.
Authorities said Carey, who worked with dogs since she was a young teenager, had five dogs living with her at the time of her death. They included a pit bull, which she had owned for six years, a boxer mix and a Presa, a large Spanish breed. She was also dogsitting another Presa for a friend.
Carey’s body was discovered Sunday afternoon after she failed to show up for work at Alpharetta’s Loving Hands Animal Clinic. The dogs that she was caring for in her home were euthanized on Wednesday. It was unclear which dog killed Carey

Oh, and for you folks that don't know what a Presa is, here's a picture for you:
They run about 150 pounds. Here's a better picture to help you put things into perspective.

So yeah, you can see that these animals aren't your basic cuddly critters that just need love.
I consider myself to be a pretty good dog man - I've got a pretty good handle on how a dog's mind works, how they reason and what works when dealing with them but if you were to ask me if I would ever own a Presa my answer would be at this time, no. I have no use for a kill dog. Would I trust it if I owned one? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even go around it unless I was armed. But unlike 23 year old female college students, I know my limitations.

9 comments:

  1. And this well known one and also a woman killed in Pacifica late last year by her Pit.

    Diane Alexis Whipple (January 21, 1968 – January 26, 2001) was a lacrosse player and coach, who is best known as the victim of a fatal dog attack in San Francisco in January 2001. The dogs involved were two Presa Canario dogs named Bane (male) and Hera (female), owned by neighbors living in the same apartment building.

    OB55

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course those who lived in the Bay Area remember the stupid bastards that kept the Presa that killed the wife - Dianne Whipple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the neighbor, not wife...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That attack was the first time I had ever heard of the breed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here. Shocked the shit out of us, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had dogs my whole life, easy and hard, and had an old english mastiff for years. She weighed more than these guys do, she doubled as a nanny when my kids were little, she was the best dog I have ever owned. But I wouldn't keep a Presa if you paid me.They scare the shit out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Presa's are war dogs. Ask the Moors or the Mayans how cuddly they are.

    Like a good Rotty or Akita, you had better be the alpha in the pack. Or they will and you WILL not like it...

    My take? the Doggy sit went bad and the other dogs had been shown by the visitor that he was boss, so when he went nuts, they joined in or cowered instead of helping their owner. Who by the way, was not the boss in her house, otherwise the other dogs would have gone to her rescue. Pack rules. Play by them or your just a big meatsicle.

    Dogs are not play toys, and given the right conditions, they are the wolf in the house. If you act like prey, or think they are just big gerbils, you can be in deep shit quick like...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toaster, I smiled reading that, I have an akita now, she was going to be put down as aggressive. They never taught her that she wasn't alpha, as soon as I taught her that she was not top dog she was great, still is. One snap is all she got in at me and never again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its possible that she attempted to break up a fight. I doubt highly that the Pit did the damage. I would guess it was one of the Pressas. Remember, Pits were never bred for bitework on humans, Pressas were/are. I have 15 Pits whom I have rescued. Some of them are dog aggressive and must be separated from ther rest but none are specifically man biters. The best advice when dealing with powerful breeds is security, security, security. Don't create a situation which allows for a fight to start. Always think ahead and be diligent. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.