Pages


Friday, October 30, 2020

The Foreign Legion : men without a past

 We followed these elite soldiers who have come from all over the world to serve France. For Droit de Savoir” he filmed these Foreign Legion new recruits during the different stages of training in Djibouti, in Guyana and also during the violent operations in the Ivory Coast. From a series of warning shots at a column of vehicles led by the Ivory Coast president’s rebels in power to the training sessions in the Guianese equatorial forest or in the Djibouti desert, the most dangerous and hazardous missions are the ones given to these “men without pasts.” Eighty percent of these trainees successfully complete the training compared to only 50 percent among soldiers of the regular army. Considered as one of the best professional troops of the French army, the Foreign Legion is conceived to deal with the high risk missions where the probability of losing soldiers is highest. This is also the only army unit where men have the right to a second chance no matter what their past. An exceptional document which testifies to the reality of ground combat, and where the adversity and danger lived through together create a durable cohesion.”

VIDEO HERE (1 hour, 12 minutes)

*****

This is one of the better documentaries I've ever seen on the Legion. And to think I actually considered joining when my enlistment was up in the US Army.....


11 comments:

  1. Hey Wirecutter;

    I had considered it also when I got out in 1991, I didn't want to be a "Civilian", I loved being in the Military, sure it sucked at times, but the camaraderie , you would find no where else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One dude from my Regiment became an Legionnaire and upon his return after service proclaimed it was the toughest and best experience of his life.

    Chutes Magoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people consider it when stepping into a military career, it's a badass option. I considered it as well but ended up just doing a standard four year contract with Uncle Sam's misguided children and carried on with life.

    Now I'm a member of the unorganized militia and do unorganized militia things like play PC games, watch the grass grow, and occasionally shoot at feral hogs.

    -Arc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I considered after my divorce, a few years after I left the Army. Glad I chose to move to Florida, instead.

      Delete
  4. A couple friends joined them after their hitch. One I never heard from again, and I sort of expected that from him. The other sent me a note just after 9-11, and all he said was he was an officer now and it was the life he wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best Legion story is the 1st Parachute Regiment, formed in 1948, shipped to Indochina, reconstituted three times, posted to Algeria after Indochina, fought more Communists, mutinied when de Gaulle sold out, upon disbandment marched from their barracks in Algiers, singing Edith Piaf’s “No, I Regret Nothing” and when all were clear, the barracks blew up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went through basic in 1979 with two guys that had been in the Legion. Both were crazy. Ran into them again at Ft Riley. They were in SF and came to Kansas to help train ROTC pukes.
    Good men to serve with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FUNNY but I didn’t see any wyminez? Wtf? This force is racist and sexist!
    Fast rewind
    Fucking frogs relayed mission plans to the enemy in BiH, resulting in dead Americans. Fucking French officers at SFOR HQ fucking bastards. They were gone in short order. I’ve never trusted a frog since.

    Now during our revolution we’d of not made it without the French.

    Fucking quandary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From what I've read about the history of La Légion they live up to the mystique. Also, like most branches of everyone's military, they've been shat on by politicians of every shade since their inception.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only group in the French military whose officers are not required to wear dark brown pants....

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.