Pages


Monday, February 22, 2021

The Top 10 Friendliest Chicken Breeds

Who doesn’t want a flock of happy chickens that come running when you approach them? Though some people prioritize traits such as egg production, cold hardiness, outward appearances if raising for show, chicken size, or growth speed, for those of us backyard flock keepers, having friendly chickens as our pets is a big reason we own chickens in the first place. How do we guarantee the ones we put in our backyard will be friendly? Well, as with most pets, how the owner treats their flock is just as important in determining chickens’ temperament as choosing the right breed. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been raising chickens for almost 14 years with pretty good success. Not too picky on breeds but most have been the "Easter Egger" Americauna. I have also had Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Buff Orpingtons, and right now a couple of Australorps and some black Marans. The keys to constant egg production is plenty of fresh food, fresh water, the ability to free-range, lots of treats, and 15 hours of light (combo of artificial and sunlight) per day. I have lost very few to predators. I spent the time and money to build a coop and outdoor pen using house building construction techniques. Drafts will kill any bird. I had to disassemble the outdoor pen and temporarily move the coop to drop a large damaged tree. It got put back and freshened up, so it should be good for another decade plus easily. I will be ordering some replacement hens from the farm down the road that hatches chicks. I give them $20 a piece for a pullet ready to lay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Orpington Buff is my favorite bird. I got two from a Southern States years ago and that will always be the bird I buy. Nice big light brown egg and they are so quiet and docile.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.