Pages


Friday, March 26, 2021

I was so wrong about autism (thank God!)

PORTLAND, Oregon—Jamie is sitting at the desk in our home office, directly in front of a computer screen where Dana Johnson, an occupational therapist based in Florida, is guiding Jamie through a process she calls “self commands.” I’m sitting to Jamie’s right, laminated letterboard in hand, serving as Jamie’s “CRP,” an acronym familiar to the brave few undertaking a new communication method for nonspeakers with autism like Jamie known as Spelling 2 Communicate (“S2C”), which happens to be the subject of a new book co-written by me and Jamie that will be released next week by Skyhorse Publishing on March 23rd. (By the way, CRP stands for “Communication and Regulation Partner.”)
-WiscoDave

9 comments:

  1. How do people still not know the difference between an acronym and initialism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piss off Troll. A great story like this and that's your only comment? I mean you're only comment? They're, fixed it for you(r).

      Delete
  2. I hope that people don't pass this by too quickly. This is to me one of the most important discoveries in our understanding of not only Autism, but it could have possible applications for people who are declining due to dementia or other mental disorders. Just imagine having your loved one with Alzheimer's disease, and being able to communicate with them for an extra 6 months, in a meaningful way. To those who have been through such a thing, you get what I am saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alzheimers affects everybody differently, but from my own personal experience with my mother, writing was one of the first of her abilities to be lost.

      Delete
  3. My grandson Matthew has autism, but he's started talking a bit. One of his first words was "bas-kit-ball". He's 7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autism may have a nutritional component.

    As part of my Continuing Education, I participated in a three-day workshop on autism.
    According to the videos, an endoscopy usually shows severe ulcerations of the intestinal wall.
    This results in undigested foods passing directly into the bloodstream.

    A 'miraculous' return to health is supposed to come from a healing diet.
    I have no experience, I was merely interested in a new field... and the inevitable cross-over realizations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is on the autism spectrum. He is not as verbal as some but has other strengths. He can read music and play the piano and he is good at assembling things. It would be difficult for him to carry on a conversation.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.