Pages


Monday, May 31, 2021

A Forgotten Piety

"“Honor thy father and thy mother,” says the Lord to the children of Israel, “that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee”" 
— Exodus 20:12 

That is the virtue of piety, honored in every human culture of which I am aware. When I was a boy, I had a powerful experience of this virtue every year, on Memorial Day. Early in the morning, a parade led by veterans in uniform would proceed up the hill to the Lutheran cemetery near our house. A group of us boys followed them, because we wanted to see and hear the rifles when they fired the 21-gun salute, to honor the men who had served their nation in war. Then, under the tall fir trees and among the gravestones and the smoke, a single veteran with a bugle played Taps. It stirred us to the soul.
-WiscoDave

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific article. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are only so many possible reactions to this article as I see it, among them righteous anger and mournful sorrow. Mr. Esolen has pierced a veil of delusion. To those in righteous anger I attach a gift of hope, as I weep... Please Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner. And pass me a damn rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need that Christian revival now more than ever. Pray like there is no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spam, drunks and trolls.
Keep 'em civil, coherent, short, and on topic.